1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with my girl?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deebsra, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Deebsra

Deebsra Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi friends,
    I have a black chick, she's about 14 weeks old. My daughter who is 6 usually feeds and waters the chicks & chickens (we have 61, I homeschool and I'm pregnant right now) SO, I didn't know that she wasn't really getting off the coop floor yesterday. So when I went in to check on things today she was down next to the water not looking so hot. I took her out of the coop and brought her down into the garage where our chicken jail is for broody or sick hens and I was trying to get her to drink some water. She's definitely not interested in eating or drinking. I did make her drink some to see if she could and she seems able to. She has no discharge from anywhere. She does have diarrhea which is either light green or yellowy, hard to say exactly, it made me gag it smelled so nasty. Anyway, her beak is dirty but I think she just hasn't felt like taking care of herself. The only other 'clue' I have is that her wing feathers look funny. I haven't clipped hers yet (I usually clip all my birds right wings) and the ends of her wings are sparse. It doesn't look like abuse though.
    Does anyone have any ideas? No hot spots on her body that I can feel, no missing feather spots & no blood.
    Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have had to treat for coccidiosis even at 3 months of age...so with diarrhea and not eating/drinking personally I'd go that route first to see if it helped (should help within 24 hours of Corid dosing if that is the problem). You don't have to have the bloody poo for it to be coccidiosis. You can also take a poo sample to a vet and they should be able to test for cocci (call ahead to check avail. and price).

I would treat all exposed to the poo of that one if treating. IDK about the wing feathers.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with ChickensAreSweet; I would treat for Coccidiosis, as your hen is displaying some signs of that disease. Her age isn't a major factor, as even though chicks usually are susceptible to Coccidiosis from 2-8 weeks of age, I've treated (successfully) a pullet for Coccidiosis when she was 7 months old.

To treat, purchase some 9.6% Corid liquid or 20% Corid powder from a livestock supply store. The Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the Corid powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Treat for 5-7 days and do not give any vitamins in the water during treatment. Improvement, if there is going to be any, should be seen after 1-3 days.

Other than that, I'd definitely keep her isolated in a warm, clean place. Encourage her to eat by feeding treats like moistened feed, scrambled eggs, mealworms, etc. Try and get her to drink plenty, too, as otherwise she won't ingest enough Corid water to be treated. I would also recommend treating your entire flock for Coccidiosis.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Its probably Coccidiosis. Birds of any age can get Coccidiosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by