What's Wrong with my Goats Milk?!

What makes you conclude that clotting milk and pink milk are not mastitis? Would like to know. Keep in mind, they do not always show all the symptoms. Some cases are so mild you need a test kit to tell. Did you test them? Is that why you think that? I'm very curious.
big_smile.png
If in doubt, take a sample and have a culture run. You can get sterile sample tubes from the vet and they are a good thing to keep on hand. The very best time to treat mastitis is during the dry period. Keep in mind also, that the CMT, California Mastitis Test, is not as accurate for goats as it is for cows. Goats shed more somatic cells in their milk than cows do. If a goat tests, say a 2 on the CMT, she is probably a 1`. Blood in the milk, if there are no other symptoms, may just be due to a broken blood vessel. In this case, there will be small amounts of blood, and it will just be there in one milking.

@cassie not sure why you quoted me? I was asking the OP how they concluded that the goats did NOT have mastitis, after not apparently checking or doing anything. Maybe they know something I don't; all I know to do is take a sample and freeze, and then treat. If they have some method for telling a goat does not have mastitis without culturing or testing in any way, I want to find out about it and learn it myself!

@cassie not sure why you quoted me? I was asking the OP how they concluded that the goats did NOT have mastitis, after not apparently checking or doing anything. Maybe they know something I don't; all I know to do is take a sample and freeze, and then treat. If they have some method for telling a goat does not have mastitis without culturing or testing in any way, I want to find out about it and learn it myself!
Because I was responding to what you said. You made some very valid points, and by quoting you I didn't have to retype them. That's why. BTW, if there is a definitive way to rule out mastitis without culturing or testing, I don't know what it is. If you think a doe might be infected, culturing and/or testing is the best course of action. If she is negative, fine. If she isn't, you can treat her before it gets worse.

@cassie I see now, that makes sense. For a minute there, I thought maybe you thought I was the OP! LOL!
wink.png

I agree with you completely. Testing and finding out for sure is the best way to go. That way you can stop a problem in it's tracks... and prevent any other goat coming down with the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom