What's wrong with my goose

I’m glad there are goose droppings in the picture, those look very normal which indicates that the goose is generally in good health.

My geese poop like this when they've had plenty of greens but noticed that they're big brown splats instead when they have had mostly pellets...is that normal?

My geese poop like this when they've had plenty of greens but noticed that they're big brown splats instead when they have had mostly pellets...is that normal?
Pellets do that to my geese too, once they start to dissolve they don’t have alot of fiber and they don’t hold their shape I think.

Abnormal things like if it looks like they aren’t digesting their food/ passing large amounts of whole seeds through, if you see red or black, or if the watery part looks very yellow or green, or the white part “urates” look very yellow or green are cause for concern.
If it’s still really wet and loose even when they eat a lot of grass and greens it can indicate some sort of inflammation.

Pellets do that to my geese too, once they start to dissolve they don’t have alot of fiber and they don’t hold their shape I think.

Abnormal things like if it looks like they aren’t digesting their food/ passing large amounts of whole seeds through, if you see red or black, or if the watery part looks very yellow or green, or the white part “urates” look very yellow or green are cause for concern.
If it’s still really wet and loose even when they eat a lot of grass and greens it can indicate some sort of inflammation.

Thank you goosebaby! I figuredbthe pellets were not a problem and it was just a lack of fibre, but best to check anyway.

The other advice on poop aeems really useful and i might have to print it out and keep it somewhere if i need to refer to it in an emergency. - we need a goose version of the bristol stool chart lol.

My Goose problems are not at an end yet. I am trying to get him a friend as he is still mourning. Now I have been informed if he is male and I get another male they will fight. How do I find that out?

My other problem is, if I can get him a friend on Saturday, we are going away the following Saturday for a week. Will that be enough time for the new Goose to settle in? This is really a big problem for me as the poor Goose is looking and looking and calling and calling, it breaks my heart

My Goose problems are not at an end yet. I am trying to get him a friend as he is still mourning. Now I have been informed if he is male and I get another male they will fight. How do I find that out?

My other problem is, if I can get him a friend on Saturday, we are going away the following Saturday for a week. Will that be enough time for the new Goose to settle in? This is really a big problem for me as the poor Goose is looking and looking and calling and calling, it breaks my heart
The only way to really determine gender is to vent sex them but that’s really difficult to do with adult geese.

One week isn’t long enough for them to really get to know each other but it’s better than nothing, you can watch them every day and by the end of the week if they’ll probably be getting along, if they’re still not getting along by the end of the week then it probably needs more time or won’t work out.

Ganders can get along, but it’s more likely if they were raised together, putting two adult ganders together is risky, they may fight to determine dominance and then everything will be peaceful between them once they’ve sorted it out, or they can end up just trying to kill each other.

Really look for that kind of behavior during the week, the occasional squabble is to be expected, but if the fight doesn’t end you’ll have to seperate them.

Back
Top Bottom