Whats wrong with my hen? Marek disease? Photos included

Quote:
I've never heard of the cranberries, but it can't hurt and they are abundant this time of year.

I am providing a link to your other thread, where someone in Scotland had to deal with the mould issue, and saved all but one bird. I'd suggest following that post's instruction for at least a week before deciding anything. Vit E, selenium and charcoal tablets may help cleanse the toxins from the body and will do no harm as long as not overdosed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5255097#p5255097

And I repeat myself, having dealt with what your problem possibly is:

There are other problems that present similarly to Marek's. If she is the only sick one in your flock it is most likely NOT Marek's Disease. Many people mistakely think that leg paralysis means Marek's. Not the case at all. The next most common reason is from mold toxins. Just a tiny amount is enough to cause paralysis.

Highlander is in the UK as well and is an experienced chicken raiser.

Quote:
True that leg paralysis can be due to other things, but I need to point out that it could be Marek's even if she is the only one displaying symptoms. Marek's does not hit all your chickens at once like some people think - the usual number is somewhere between 10-20% over a period of time, usually years. Sometimes it doesn't effect any of them. I have friend with Marek's in her flock and she will lose a chicken now. The rest of her chickens are just fine - carriers of Marek's since they've been exposed, but show no signs of the disease at all.

Last edited:
We had some young pullets that had what looked to be wry neck, twisted neck and some paralysis. After much research, we put Vitamin E directly on their beaks and gave them Polyvisol. Before we determined Vitamin E, one did die. Two others recovered. None since. We were afraid it was Mareks but it turned out to be a true vitamin E deficiency. If none of your others are sick are presenting the symptoms of this hen, I don't think it is Mareks. Look up vitamin e deficiency in poultry. It appears you are doing all the right things if it is Vitamin E deficiency. Good luck.

Texas I have been giving her vitamin E since yesterday. Putting it on the bread or in her water. Also cod liver oil and hypericum and a poultry vitamin mix from local animal feed shop. what is polyvisol?

Back
Top Bottom