Whats wrong with my hen? Marek disease? Photos included

ChurpyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Buxton/Leek
Hi Everyone,

My hen has been poorly for a week now it started with her wing dragging on the floor.

Bathed her wrapped her up in a towel and put her in a pink cage. Getting her out once a day to have a wonder around.

She's just got worse and worse and worse.

I thought it was mareks disease and someone else suggested there could be mould in the house.

I have been giving her hypericum and also vitamin E.

One day she shows signs of getting better but today she can't stand up or anything..

Feeling really cruel for keeping her alive.

Is there anything else I can do? Whats the best thing to do?

The pink in her water is poultry vitamins.

41490_sdc11836.jpg

41490_sdc11839.jpg

Shes usually very much part of the crew but before I brought her in she was just sat on her own
sad.png

41490_snw_n_crew2.jpg

Last edited:
I think she got into a bit of moldy food and now has some neurological damage, as was pointed out in your other thread. You might be able to treat it using the method suggested there, but it might also be too late, in which case you will have to make a difficult decision. I had to put down a bird last year after it became clear he was too far gone to recover his leg usage. Keep treating her, she may need time.

There are other problems that present similarly to Marek's. If she is the only sick one in your flock it is most likely NOT Marek's Disease. Many people mistakely think that leg paralysis means Marek's. Not the case at all. The next most common reason is from mold toxins. Just a tiny amount is enough to cause paralysis.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. How do I find out posts on here?

If it is by mould what do I need to cure her vitamin E, cranberries anything else?

x

My only suggestion would be Marek's. Symptoms include wing, leg, and neck paralysis. i have read that acute Marek's disease can be extremely rapid in its course, producing mortality in apparently healthy birds. However, in some cases the lesions may regress and clinically affected birds may make complete recoveries. But on another site i read that there is no treatment and affected birds should be destroyed and other birds monitored for any signs of the disease.

If it is Marek's, your other birds are already exposed. That doesn't mean they will get it. Some chickens are exposed and will be carriers but never manifest the disease. i was surprised to find that several of my chickens, who died from other reasons, showed latent Marek's upon necropsy. The vet told me that all chickens are exposed to Marek's, it is so common.

If it were me, i would keep her isolated and continue supportive treatment. Keep treating for possible mold ingestion, in case that is what she is suffering from. If the leg paralysis does not improve in a day or so, i would have her humanely euthanized. Check the sticky at the top of this forum topic and locate your state vet. They can refer you to a vet or school that can do the euthanasia and provide a necropsy, many times free of charge. You will definitely want a diagnosis on this. Your state vet is a wealth of knowledge and should be able to provide you some guidance.

i'm so sorry about your sweet little hen. She is so pretty and i know how hard it is to see our loved ones suffer. i hope you can get some definitive answers soon.

Quote:
Look at the top of the page, where it says "Index, User list, etc" and click on Search. You can enter a search word, like mold, and then specify which category you want to search under. Choose Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures. That should give you the appropriate posts on the subject.

Thanks so much for everyones advice.

If it was mold related what is the best vitamins/way to treat it?

I am currently giving her Vitamin E, hypericum, cod liver oil and poultry vitamins, cranberry sauce.

Going to give her until tomorrow evening and do the kind deed
sad.png

Will search for the local vet does this apply to the UK as well?

None of my flock are showing any symptoms and see totally fine
smile.png

Hope it is mould related and not an disease. Hope she livens up by morning.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom