What's wrong with my hen? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenLotts, Aug 16, 2010.

1. ChickenLotts

ChickenLotts New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi, I am starting to worry about my Columbine hen. At first she appeared to have hiccups however now i believe she is ill. She often makes a 'hiccup' type noise then wheezes when she inhales. When she makes the noise she also moves her head in a way that looks like she is clearing her throat. She has been doing this for around a week now. Apart from this she is healthy and happy, she has clear eyes and is alert and eating and drinking well. I have done some research and am wondering if it could be gape-worm and if so what treatments are available? She seems to make the noise constantly for about 10 minutes then stops for a while then starts again. Should i be worried about her? Also, my two other hens are fine and healthy so I'm hoping its not contagious. Please help! ChickenLotts.

2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    She may have a respiratory infection. Any nose, eye drainage? You can try some antibiotics in here water and see if that works. Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by