whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

kyrose, I'm so sorry you have to put Queeny down. Very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I'm sure your heart will always have a loving spot where you keep memories of her.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Queeny. It certainly isn't a easy choice. However, after a day or so I think you will feel better knowing that she isn't suffering anymore. At least I did. However, it doesn't take the pain of missing them away. My heart is still heavy but I am least able to realize it was for the best. Pray hun and know that the Lord is there through it all. I will pray for comfort for your heart. Time is the best healer I have learned. It really isn't fair to keep them suffering and you have been working on this for a couple weeks now. You have certainly done much more than most would.

Take care and prayers are sent your way.

~Sara

Im sorry about Queeny. Be strong, and just remember you made the right decision. Remember the good times you had with Queeny.
hugs.gif
Sometimes the right decision is the hardest one to make. Good luck and Queeny will be remembered

thanks so much to everyone for everything.its nice to have people to talk to about chickens that dont think ive totally lost my mind.
hugs.gif

I have been reading this thread for a couple of days as I deal with this issue. I have a 14 week old Jersey Giant cockerel who began stumbling around a few days ago. MY initial post was met with the Marek's response, but none of the rest of my small flock showed signs and the numbers didn't add up.
We first noticed our chick, I call him "Gus", sitting on his haunches when he was eating, and we kind of laughed it off with remarks about him being lazy. But on Thursday evening he was unable to steady himself to make the leap up into the coop for lock up and had to be helped. He was walking well, but when he stopped or tried to stand still he would stagger. Friday morning when the coop was opened he was walking with some trouble But otherwise seemed normal. He had a good appetite, drank normally (other than balance) and even demonstrated dominant behaviors when an older pullet tried to horn in on his foraging ground. He continued with the falling over and it seemed to get worse. Saturday morning he looked a little worse, and that is when I found this thread.
I picked up some liquid Vitamin B Complex yesterday and immediately added it to every water jug the chooks have access to. I have "Gus" in a 3.5'x2' brooder box for his own protection after my main roo tried to have his way with him.
Every 3 or 4 hours I have been taking out a scrambled or hard boiled egg, or some chopped veggies with the B complex mixed into it. He does not like the taste of the vitamin one bit and will not swallow it if I put it in his mouth. He shakes his head and tosses it back out. I have also mixed it into some plain yogurt and given it to him that way. I think he has taken in at least one adult dose in the last 24 hours.

This morning I think he looked a little worse than yesterday, almost totally unable to walk and only flapped his wings when I put him on the ground for a little exercise. However, this evening when I went out to feed him, I did see him walk across the brooder to get to the feeder for crumbles after the hard boiled egg was gone.

I hope to get him through this. He is a very beautiful Blue JG and I kept him for that reason.

This sounds about exactly what my hen was doing. Since there were several of us that were having a similar problem at the same time, it was sort of heartwarming, in a strange way, to think of all of us BYC'rs all running out to various stores to get the Vitamin B.
I got mine in capsule form, and poured the powder in or on everything I put in front of my chicken. She was in a pen by herself, yet out where the others could come over to chat with her. She drank and ate pretty well. I gave her oatmeal and boiled eggs, along with bits of fruit of various kinds, and always had her chicken feed in front of her. She would scoot herself around to get to her food, and was always alert.
It took about a week for her to start trying to stand, and after she did that, then it was another 2-3 days before I put her out to join the others. By this time she was almost back to normal...still a bit shaky and not ready to jump up on the roost, but was improving daily.
I was honestly floored that this worked! I was just so afraid it wouldn't, but was motivated to keep at it since others were having good results.
I've told several people about this....people who have an interest in chickens (feed store folks, vets, etc.) and no one had ever had this experience with a chicken. I wanted them to know, just in case someone should approach them with this same problem. At least they would know of something that might/probably would work.
Good luck! Please keep posting so we will know of the good (hopefully) progress with your little buddy.

Back
Top Bottom