What's wrong with my hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alanandlora, Aug 14, 2014.

1. alanandlora

alanandlora New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    My wife and I are new to raising chickens , so we have a lot of questions.

We have a RR hen that is 4-5 moths old , she started laying about 3 weeks ago.
    This morning I went out to open the coop for the day and noticed the she was making a kind of squawking noise while tilting her head back and opening and closing her mouth. she is doing this pretty much non-stop at about 5 second intervals.
    She doesn't have any crusty stuff on her beak or eyes. She has a gurgling noise in her chest like someone that had a chest cold .

Anyone have any ideas?

Alan

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She may have a respiratory disease...gurgling sounds from the chest may point to this.....you can give her antibiotics if that is the cause.

Is she free ranging at all ? If so she may have symptoms of gapeworm...this sounds more like a rasping sound with her breathing and they do tend to tilt their heads backward with this...

How is her comb looking? Is it bright red ?

Any further details you can give may point to what the problem with her is....

3. alanandlora

alanandlora New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Suzie,

Thanks for replying. She does not free range , she stays in a chicken yard when not in her coop.
    Her comb is bright red and she laid an egg today( girl is like clockwork! )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by