What's wrong with my hens egg?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Came to the coop this morning and found a jelly-like egg that has a very soft shell and then an egg that is just the yolk but it's covered in I'm guessing what was supposed to be the eggshell. I don't know who played it but I have no clue what to do. Someone, please help.

Attachments

How old are your chickens? Are you offering oyster shells/eggshells to them free-choice? How long have your hens been laying?
there 5-6 maybe 7 months I forgot. Yes, there has an oyster shell and I have seen them eating it. My hens started laying I don't know maybe 2 months ago I forgot.

This has happened with mine before. It can be from stress, poor nutrition, shell gland issues, etc. I also read it can happen from too much snacks in place of a balanced feed. Or egg drop syndrome. Not sure what it is for you but just some stuff to consider. It's probably just a once in a blue moon egg glitch. Make sure they have a balanced diet and oyster shell available

Their systems are still just working out the kinks. It should happen less as they mature more. I’m sure you’ve seen other strange things like double yolks I had one that was double shelled.
yes my Plymouth laid a lot of long eggs and one of my customers said there whole carton had double yolks and he loved it. Made him buy more lol. She stopped but it was only for a little bit.

there 5-6 maybe 7 months I forgot. Yes, there has an oyster shell and I have seen them eating it. My hens started laying I don't know maybe 2 months ago I forgot.
It could possibly just be a glitch in the laying cycle, especially seeing that they're pretty young. It could also be caused by stress, e.g environmental stress, heat stress, predator stress, rooster stress. You want to make sure that they're eating quality feed and getting plenty of nutrients. Most likely it's just them being young.

This has happened with mine before. It can be from stress, poor nutrition, shell gland issues, etc. I also read it can happen from too much snacks in place of a balanced feed. Or egg drop syndrome. Not sure what it is for you but just some stuff to consider. It's probably just a once in a blue moon egg glitch. Make sure they have a balanced diet and oyster shell available
you know what I do give them treats in the morning and make sure there's extra for my one silkie that is smaller an bullyed so I make sure they all get some. I might dial down on the treats.

It could possibly just be a glitch in the laying cycle, especially seeing that they're pretty young. It could also be caused by stress, e.g environmental stress, heat stress, predator stress, rooster stress. You want to make sure that they're eating quality feed and getting plenty of nutrients. Most likely it's just them being young.
I do have a rooster and every morning he trys to mate them when they don't want to.

you know what I do give them treats in the morning and make sure there's extra for my one silkie that is smaller an bullyed so I make sure they all get some. I might dial down on the treats.

I just read it on hencam.com that someone gave their chickens spaghetti and one ate a whole bunch and had egg issues the next day. Treats are ok just don't overdo it. Their feed should be the main food

Back
Top Bottom