What's wrong with my Lacey Lady?

Kristy Davis

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
IMG_6635.jpeg
Hi, I am new to chickens. I have a hen that isn't behaving normally. She is waddling - keeping her back end low. I have soaked her a few times and given her calcium. Her poop is loose and watery. She isn't eating or drinking much. I have been keeping her isolated. She has been like this for about a week now. I think it's possibly ascites? but not sure... Any advice would be welcome:)

How old is she and what's her laying status (is she laying, when was the last egg, etc)?

If the area between her legs and her vent feels like a water balloon that's ascites, though there would be a number of possible causes for the fluid build up.

Poor girl, she most likely has a reproduction issue, which is why she does have ascites.
There is no cure for reproduction issues unless caught very early, which most people don't.
The only thing you can do is drain her abdomen of fluid when it needs it, this will not cure her, only relieve her of some of the pain.
When was her last egg?

View attachment 3336532Hi, I am new to chickens. I have a hen that isn't behaving normally. She is waddling - keeping her back end low. I have soaked her a few times and given her calcium. Her poop is loose and watery. She isn't eating or drinking much. I have been keeping her isolated. She has been like this for about a week now. I think it's possibly ascites? but not sure... Any advice would be welcome:)
Is vet care an option?

What does her vent look like?

What does the swelling or bulge at her abdomen feel like - fluid/tight like a drum or hard, soft?

She may be suffering from the symptom Ascites (fluid in the abdomen) but it would be hard to know the cause.
Some folks drain the fluid to make a bird more comfortable for a short period of time, it's not a cure.
She may have more than one thing going on, hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom