What's wrong with my Roo's legs

Juther

Songster
Feb 27, 2018
I just bought a Roo and his legs look like this. I looked up pics of scaly leg mites and it doesn't look like that to me. It looks like he has just rubbed the scales off or perhaps psoriasis?
IMG_0911.jpg

Can't really tell in the pictures. The redness is probably hormonal. Do you know how old he is or what conditions he was kept in? I don't see spurs so pretty young? If he was in dirty conditions the skin may be irritated due to droppings and ammonia. I think I would use castor oil, coconut oil, bag balm, etc applied just to sooth for a while to see if that helps, with time and being in better conditions. If he was in crowded conditions he may not have been roosting and instead laying on the ground which would not have helped.

Can't really tell in the pictures. The redness is probably hormonal. Do you know how old he is or what conditions he was kept in? I don't see spurs so pretty young? If he was in dirty conditions the skin may be irritated due to droppings and ammonia. I think I would use castor oil, coconut oil, bag balm, etc applied just to sooth for a while to see if that helps, with time and being in better conditions. If he was in crowded conditions he may not have been roosting and instead laying on the ground which would not have helped.

I was going to use coconut oil, so I'm glad to hear this. He was completely free range and they had a time catching him. He does have spurs they are about 3/4" long. They said 7-8 months old.

Thanks so much for the fast response! I'm so thankful for this group!

Back
Top Bottom