What's wrong with my rooster? Please!

fluharty

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2016
So I am a newbie and still learning, I noticed a couple of days ago that my rooster has black and a couple white spots near tip of crown. He is quite large
1f60a.png
and is eating and acting fine. My hens look okay and are laying. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Your rooster has frostbite. This can be caused by extreme temperature and inadequate coop ventilation, and is more prevalent in big-combed breeds.

Wow, that was a fast response! I thought it might be, but worried when I was reading about all of the other similar symptoms with different diagnosis. :-/

Any recommendations? I know we have had some cold weather lately going from cold to warm, crazy VA weather! However, everyone told me not to worry that chickens are resilient. :) Should I cover their windows in their coop at night to help? Thanks!

Depending on how cool the weather still is, you might want to bring him into a warmer location until the circulation in his comb improves - if it's staying cold and blood isn't flowing to it isn't going to start healing. I put salve on my birds' tender combs - made from beeswax and medicinal herb oils - other have recommended vaseline, etc. Watch out for picking by the other birds. Mostly, try to prevent it from worsening and promote healing. Vitamins, healthy treats.

As far as the coop, covering windows can decrease ventilation and increase the problem. The cold they can handle better than the cold + damp. Chickens produce a lot of moisture. Keep the coop extra clean (scoop poop daily) or use deep litter bedding. Make sure they have deeper bedding in general than during the summer - 6 inches or so. You can get a decent thermometer/hygrometer to help you be aware - I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XTJRRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

My big boy didn't get his frostbite in the coop, however, but on subzero days out on pasture. Since the hens and their tiny combs were out and about, he felt that he needed to be out there protecting them and didn't take himself into consideration. He's a good rooster. He has learned his limits, however, and now chooses to stay in on very cold days and let our peacombed Ameraucana rooster handle outside duty.

Last edited:
Most Roosters are getting frostbite this winter speaking about it mine has it too!You can spray Vetericyn too disinfect the comb so it doesn't spread.He will be fine no need to do anything else.

Depending on how cool the weather still is, you might want to bring him into a warmer location until the circulation in his comb improves - if it's staying cold and blood isn't flowing to it isn't going to start healing. I put salve on my birds' tender combs - made from beeswax and medicinal herb oils - other have recommended vaseline, etc. Watch out for picking by the other birds. Mostly, try to prevent it from worsening and promote healing. Vitamins, healthy treats.

As far as the coop, covering windows can decrease ventilation and increase the problem. The cold they can handle better than the cold + damp. Chickens produce a lot of moisture. Keep the coop extra clean (scoop poop daily) or use deep litter bedding. Make sure they have deeper bedding in general than during the summer - 6 inches or so. You can get a decent thermometer/hygrometer to help you be aware - I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XTJRRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

My big boy didn't get his frostbite in the coop, however, but on subzero days out on pasture. Since the hens and their tiny combs were out and about, he felt that he needed to be out there protecting them and didn't take himself into consideration. He's a good rooster. He has learned his limits, however, and now chooses to stay in on very cold days and let our peacombed Ameraucana rooster handle outside duty.

Thank you so much for your response! Makes me feel a bit better!

Most Roosters are getting frostbite this winter speaking about it mine has it too!You can spray Vetericyn too disinfect the comb so it doesn't spread.He will be fine no need to do anything else.

Thank you all for your responses! How often should I spray Vetericyn to it? Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for your detailed response, I will definitely check their coop a bit more closely. :)

Back
Top Bottom