What's Wrong With My Roosters Foot?

CJkid

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Montana
I noticed recently on my roosters foot that he has two toes that are bent to the side instead of sticking strait out.
I watched him closely as he walked/pecked around and he doesn't seem to notice anythings wrong. He puts his full weight on it and runs and hops like normal.

Though it doesn't seem to be a problem for him right now I want to make sure that it won't become one. I don't know how or why it happened. Does anyone know what this could be? Also and probably more importantly will this begin to be a problem for him or will it just be an odd quirk that I don't have to worry about?

Please any ideas or advice... Cogburn and I would appreciate it
big_smile.png

CJ

Have you had him since he was a chick? Are you sure that he had normal feet at one time? Occassionally chicks hatch with twisted toes and adapt to that situation and have a long and productive life. If his feet were once normal and are now starting to deteriorate, I would be somewhat more concerned that he might have some sort of a progressive condition.

My rooster is 8 weeks old. And yes I have had him since he was 2 days old. His feet were fine when he was little. It is only recently that I noticed this. Though I can't be sure exactly when it started. He is a Barred Rock.

I really hope it is not something that will get worse... but he still does not seem to notice.

Sometimes this can be heredity or a riboflavin deficiency (vitamin B2). This deficiency is usually from the flock the egg came from or from the chick itself and can start at 10days and get worse. If the chick's starter feed has inefficient Vit B2 then you can try and supplement it. If its not due to the vitamin then not much you can do. I have one hen atm that has this and she is fine (5yrs old now).

Also this can be caused by too slick of a walking surface in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom