What's wrong with Patty? Please help!

Sonjamaria

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 4, 2015
Hi there
My old girl is unwell and has been for two days. I found her laying on the ground under her roost. I brought her inside and examined her well. Her crop appeared initially distended and was full of foul watery brown smelly liquid. I drained this out of her. She has also had watery and bloody diarrhoea.
She has passed some thin rope like things in her bloody stools.
Do you think she has coccidiosis? Is is sour crop as well? Or even some kind of intestinal parasite?
Im am trying a few different things with her. Keeping her warm, sub cut fluids and amprolium, but I dont think she is going to make it. She is very weak.
20201025_191730.jpg

I'm concerned about the very pale comb and waddles. When did this girl lay last, does she still lay eggs? If she does still lay, then I'd look at parasitic overload, not just cocci but also other types of worms.
If a vet is not possible then you might check your feed store for wormers and possibly antibiotics.
Amprolium will deal with cocci, but won't cover the others. Piperazine is often used in poultry to fight roundworms and pinworms. Albendazole is one of the more effective dewormers at killing most adult species of worms that infect chickens. It is effective against Roundworms, Capillary worms, Cecal worms, and Tapeworms. Notice that Albendazole doesn't deal with worm eggs so if you go this route, plan to treat again in a couple weeks in an effort to break the breeding cycle of the worms.
Fortunately for you, you can choose either the piperazine or albendazole while at the same time treating with amprolium for cocci.
I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

My old girl is unwell and has been for two days. I found her laying on the ground under her roost. I brought her inside and examined her well. Her crop appeared initially distended and was full of foul watery brown smelly liquid. I drained this out of her. She has also had watery and bloody diarrhoea.
She has passed some thin rope like things in her bloody stools.
Do you think she has coccidiosis? Is is sour crop as well? Or even some kind of intestinal parasite?
Im am trying a few different things with her. Keeping her warm, sub cut fluids and amprolium, but I dont think she is going to make it. She is very weak.
I'm sorry about your hen.
How old is she?

Fortunately for you, you can choose either the piperazine or albendazole while at the same time treating with amprolium for cocci.
Sorry, Piperazine (Wazine) was discontinued over a year or so ago - so sadly, it's extremely hard to find:(

She is 5. I just checked on her to warm up her heating pad again, and she is still hanging in there.
I have heard of Piperazine before, not sure where though. Ill check out the pet barn tomorrow.
I have 16 other chickens and all seem to be going well. I did have one that was egg bound, but she seems to benon the mend. She is old too for annisa brown.

She is 5. I just checked on her to warm up her heating pad again, and she is still hanging in there.
I have heard of Piperazine before, not sure where though. Ill check out the pet barn tomorrow.
I have 16 other chickens and all seem to be going well. I did have one that was egg bound, but she seems to benon the mend. She is old too for annisa brown.
Is she pooping at all? What's that look like?

I would push fluids today. You mention her crop seemed full of water, so it's likely not emptying very well and turning sour. Plenty of fluids, a bit of wet feed if she's willing to eat.
Sadly a lot of times hens have reproductive problems and they start to decline.
Do you note any swelling or bloat in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Thanks for the advice everyone, unfortunately she passed away today. I buried her with a lovely rose from the garden and said a few kind words for her.
She was a sweety and I hope ill do better next time.

Back
Top Bottom