1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whats wrong with the feets???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by s.cha, Feb 12, 2009.

1. s.cha

s.cha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    minnesota
    i have a rooster and his feet is all cracked and rough.....what is it???

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Try posting a pic and we may be able to help. Some scales are ok, but lifted ones are often a sign of leg mites.

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    could be Scaley Leg mites..how are the legs? are they scaley or crusty or look rough?

could be exposure to some irritant..such as walking on cement..

could also be a vitamin deficiency..

what all do you feed?

try and get him some poultry vitamins..ASAP..
    if you can't get them quickly..you can use Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand if possible..no iron..give 2 drops once a day on beak for a week or so,,tpaer off another few days.
    in the meantime.try and get the poultry vitamins.

and make up a little of this mixture:
    water cooked oatmeal, soft boiled or scrambled egg, plain yogurt..and chicken feed to make mix crumbly..
    a teeny bit of lightly cooked liver can be added.

pics would really help if you could post them.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    In addition to above, get some Bagbalm (local feed store may have or order on line) and apply daily for a little while. I have had amazing results with regeneration.
    JJ

5. s.cha

s.cha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    minnesota
    i think it may be leg mites cause the scales are lifted....so what can i do to cure it???

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can coat ALL their legs in vaseline, bag balm, diaper cream etc... You want to smother them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by