What's wrong with this chicken? Is it sour crop, an absess, or something else?

cmfarm

Crowing
13 Years
May 3, 2010
Elgin, TX
This is one of my barred rock pullets that I just noticed has a puffed up jaw. She is about 5 months old and isn't laying yet. She seems to be feeling well otherwise, and acts normal. Here are some pictures. On one side her eye is swollen shut but the other one isn't. There don't seem to be any other symptoms other than the swelling.

I am so sorry! I don't have a clue what is wrong with your hen, but I know what it feels like to never get a reply. I hope that someone with more experience will chime in. Sorry!

Can you post a pic of the other side w/ the eye closed? Has she had a recent illness- sneezing, nasal discharge...?

She hasn't been sneezing or had a runny nose. It isn't anything respiratory. The picture of her other side isn't very good, that is why I didn't post it earlier.

It is squishy. I just when to go check on her and she has died. I am going to open up the swollen part tommorow and see what is in there. I think it was either sour crop or maybe a snake bite.

Poor baby.. I'm guessing it was some kind of infection and possibly it went to the brain. Hugs to you....

Back
Top Bottom