What's wrong with this Egg/Chicken??? Pictures

TipsyDog

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Aregua, Paraguay
My RIR has been laying eggs with very slight ridges on them. Now these eggs are coming - two in the past 3 days! Should I be worried? She is 7 months old and otherwise very healthy. What would cause eggs to have a such extreme ridges? It's almost like looking at a "mold" of her insides. Nothing has changed here in diet, etc.

31358_rir_egg_001.jpg

31358_rir_egg_003.jpg

31358_rir_egg_002.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like they are getting stuck. I had a guinea that laid wrinkled eggs similar to that. I think it's just their laying is trying to regulate when it does that.

It's natural for them to lay eggs like this when they first start laying, I've only had one hen that has layed one similar 2 this, but only 1. If this keeps up, I would be worried

I expect it's just because she is in her first laying season and still getting things 'straightened out'. But those eggs could (note, 'could') be a sign of Infectious Bronchitis, if they continue for a number of weeks. (Much more likely to be down to her going through chicken puberty though.)

You'll probably get the odd strange egg during the first season, and they're usually nothing to worry about.

Taylor & Caralouise1974: She has been laying for about 6 weeks. I hope you guys are right and she's still getting into it, but it just worries me with ridges like this. I thought that maybe the egg wasn't moving along quickly enough and therefore the impression on them, but she has been laying within the 24 - 28 hour period so they are moving. I've never seen eggs like this before!
idunno.gif

My girls are in their first season of laying and I've seen a few with wrinkles (although not as extreme). They didn't keep coming out with wrinkles, so I didn't worry about it. Hopefully yours will return to normal, too.

One question that did come to my mind was wondering if it had anything to do with the temp. When I found the wrinkled ones here it was during some weather were the temps were down in the single digits. None of my girls stay on their eggs. I wondered if the cold temp set up the eggs before they would have a chance to smooth out. I'm guessing the shells are slightly pliable at laying (although I'm not sure how much) to make laying easier. I've since gotten a heat lamp that I use with a thermal switch to help cut down on split eggs from freezing. It may be pure coincidence, but no wrinkled eggs since.

Quote:
Funny you should mention the cold. It was in the single digits both days that these eggs were laid and she lays very early in the morning. I do have heat in my coop on a thermostat but the nest boxes are bumped out and always alittle colder than the rest of the coop. If the cold does have something to do with it - why aren't any other eggs affected? Perhaps the cold affects this bird more than the others. My coop's temperature range is between 34 and 41 degrees, so it's not extremely cold.

All my pullets are under a year old (9 months) and every so often I get one of those eggs. The one thing that is weird is since most have them have gone through a molt one of the girls, haven't figured which one, yet seems to be laying little pullet eggs again---- or--- I was thinking maybe one of them never started until now--- is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom