What's wrong with this guineas foot?

Thanks, I'll try it. Since guineas eat bugs it never occurred to me too much protein could be bad. We've had them for years and never had a problem. We do just let them free range because they take care of the ticks and other bugs. We feed the chickens lay crumbles and I guess that's not good for the guineas. I hope as my flock gets older I can keep others from getting it. I'll keep her separate for a while and give her the cherries and game bird feed and see if it helps. I'll let you know how it goes.

A couple of my guineas have had swollen feet/toes over the years, although none were as swollen as yours, cracking up. I always suspected that they were dealing with a form of arthritis, but out of desperation I treated them with oxytetracycline in case it was something bacterial. To my surprise, the swelling went down (gradually). When I stopped the antibiotic treatment, the swelling returned a few weeks later, so I started the treatment up again. The swelling continued to go down with each successive treatment, and it would stay away for a little longer each time. I can't say that the treatment I used would work for your guinea, but it might be worth a try.

I think I bought my packet of oxytetracycline at a Blue Seal Feeds store. I'm not sure if Tractor Supply carries it; I don't think I remember seeing it there. It's a dry powder that you can mix in the water. I don't remember the amount I put in, but I wrote it down. I'll look it up if you need to know. I don't know what stores you have in California.

Interesting! Original Poster (OP), did you ever figure this out? My guinea's feet look just like this. Our family describes the guinea's toes as carrot-like. It looks like she has lost nails, and the tip of the toe looks like the top part of the carrot where it emerges from the soil. I'm not sure if we're looking at gout or some sort of infection, but right now I've administered Ivermectin (just in case it's some sort of parasite, but I don't think so), and I'm going to get back to adding homemade kombucha to their water. Fingers crossed! Catching her was a b!+@h!!

What did this end up being? I have a guineas who’s feet look the same and everyone is telling me bumblefoot, I’ve been treating for mites but really at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom