What's wrong with Wendigo?

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My sweet little girl, Wendigo, has not laid in a few days. She has been going to the laying box often. She is staying around the coop and not wanting to go far with her foraging. I felt for, but did not feel an egg. I held her and massaged her tummy. I checked her vent; there is no poop and it looks normal. I did gently lubricate her vent, also.

What could it be? She seems to be trying to pass an egg but can't. Today I will try the bath and see what happens. I am very worried about her!

I gave her a warm Epsom salts bath this evening. I gave her extra calcium and put her in the house in a dog crate. She is warm, dry, and comfortable. I lubricated her and did not feel an egg. Surprisingly, she was a trooper and didn't even flinch. She is about 16 months old. I got her when she was about four months old. It is hot here in south Mississippi. It is getting dark earlier. I left her some mealy worms and watermelon and fresh water. I will keep her in tonight...

It is possible that she is starting to go into a molt, or that she is having some problems with her reproductive tract. Heat and decreasing darkness can affect laying. Those may include laying soft or shell-less eggs, which can be difficult to pass, or she may have an inflammation of her oviduct called salpingitis, and she could be laying internally.
Lash eggs which are products of internal laying, may be large and get stuck, and sometimes smaller ones can be passed. I would continue giving some calcium with vitamin D3, making sure that she is drinking well and getting plenty of healthy feed. Limit treats such as scratch or corn, since heavy hens can experience health problems and laying problems. Here is a list of reproductive disorders with explanations:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/false-layer-poultry

It is possible that she is starting to go into a molt, or that she is having some problems with her reproductive tract. Heat and decreasing darkness can affect laying. Those may include laying soft or shell-less eggs, which can be difficult to pass, or she may have an inflammation of her oviduct called salpingitis, and she could be laying internally.
Lash eggs which are products of internal laying, may be large and get stuck, and sometimes smaller ones can be passed. I would continue giving some calcium with vitamin D3, making sure that she is drinking well and getting plenty of healthy feed. Limit treats such as scratch or corn, since heavy hens can experience health problems and laying problems. Here is a list of reproductive disorders with explanations:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/false-layer
how old is she ?because my oldest hen does just about the same thing
how old is she ?because my oldest hen does just about the same thing
She is about 16 months old.
poultry
Thank you; I was thinking it may be the weather change. Last night she enjoyed her bath. I kept her in and she ate a little, but, not much. Her poop is normal, not watery. I have given her laying food, mealy worms, and water melon.

Back
Top Bottom