What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cattbird, Dec 9, 2009.

1. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Suddenly one of my Silkies, who is 10 weeks old can't walk/stand. One leg is slipping one way and the other the other way? At first it was just on my kitchen floor and I thought he just had a weak leg, but yesterday I found him flat out. I've taken a photo to show you what I mean.

I do remember thinking at hatch one of them had really long feet by didn't think twice about it. Has he damaged himself or is this like a delayed form of spraddle leg? Maybe as he is getting bigger/heavier his legs can't hold him?

What I really need to know is.. Will it get better? Is there anything I can do to help it get better? Or should I give up and.... Okay, I'm too weak to do that!

[​IMG]

2. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I think you might need to go to the google search on BYC and type spraddle. I think it will have your answer.

3. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    All chickens especially young growing chicks need good footing slippery footing can cause this problem I would get them off the slippery wood floors.

4. amyparrotflock

amyparrotflock Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Try putting him on newspaper/shelf liner/pine/aspen bedding/old t-shirts and seeing if he can stand up and walk then. if not he's splay legged or spradled. In parrots they make a splint out of a hard foam, but you have to catch this fast when they are young. Here's a link if it is- this can be modfied for larger birds

http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/

5. cattbird

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Thanks.

In their brooder they have 2" pine shavings. The chick was just on the kitchen floor for the photo. I have put a towel under the shavings now too.

Can chicks develop spraddle leg at 10 weeks?

Thanks.

6. cattbird

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Just bumping in hope someone else has saome answers?

I have tied the chicks legs but it couldn't walk and fell flat on it's face? So given up on that as it wouldnt be able to get to the food/water.

Is 10 weeks too old to correct spraddle leg?

It looks like one leg is bent the wrong way at the knee. [​IMG]

7. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    I have fixed this in pigeons with two leg bands tied together with a rubber band.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by