What's your chicken's/chickens' favorite snack/treat?

I've been pulling goat weed out of one acre of the pasture (yes, by hand - because ripping it up disturbs the soil and most of my pasture grasses are in seed atm). Anyhow, I keep uncovering these little beetles with a beautiful emerald green and black shell. They are maybe the size of the fingernail on your pinky finger. My girls love them!

For a less labor-intensive treat on my part, the Sorghum is also in seed. Love to watch the girls clucking and jumping and flapping their wings to try and get high enough to grab the seed stalk with their beak and pull it down. More often than not, they don't grab it well enough to break the stalk and it stands back up with them only getting a single seed or so. So jump jump jump some more.

Discarded seeds from fruit smoothie .Nothing goes to waste in my house, If the kids don't eat it, the dog or chickens will. Yogurt is also a fan favorite. :ya

All but one of my birds LOVE Japanese Beetles. I hunt JBs every day, doing my best to eradicate this pest.

They also love their food wetted into a mash. Right now I'm doing both, as the one bird who doesn't like JBs is my favorite hen.

They also love their food wetted into a mash.
Mine are only a few weeks old, so they don’t really get treats, but they love wet mash too! Will eat it out of my hand & then sit on me after. It’s really helping to get them socialized with me & DS. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom