What's your chickens' favorite snack

Yogurt! They go completely insane if I bring them yogurt. It's almost disturbing. I have to bring it in three little bowls instead of one or they will murder each other fighting over it. I have nine so that's 3 to a bowl. They also love tomatoes but I don't think they would kill for them. Injure slightly but not kill.

Mine will eat just about anything. Grapes are a treat. Cheese and noodles are definately a favorite. Toast with jelly, pork chops, greens, raw sunflower seeds, corn on the cob, hamburger, hot dogs, BBQ chicken, crickets......lol!

Corn on the cob! They can peck a cob clean in a few minutes lol!

Lynne
bun.gif

Wow! Great thread. I am not as good as I should be about treats. You all are much more adventurous. Mine LOVE LOVE LOVE strawberry yogurt. Any yogurt, really, but strawberry is their favorite. Last night I brought the ducks the inside of a squash I was roasting, after I took out the seeds, the ducks didn't want it, but the chickens loved it. The stringy, fleshy insides are great fun to run around the yard and torment your friends with.

My ducks are picky. They like peas. And my drake LOVES the stems of kale, swiss chard and collard greens that I pull from the garden.

Their 2 most favorite treats are a tie.....Mealworms and shredded cheese. I only give the shredded cheese once in a while but they go completely bonkers for it!!! LOL The same with the mealworms. They will start jumping up at me and pecking at the bag before I can even open it!!!

My chickens' favorite thing to eat is a weed called Spanish Needles. The kids feed it to them all day long and they act like it's the most delicious thing in the world. I hate this weed (it spread everywhere and I'm allergic to it) it's totally awesome to have my chickens recycling it into eggs! They also really liked the white bean patty I fed them (it fell on the floor so us humans didn't want it) and they love cheese.

mine are little pigs! they love anything you give them besides summer squash, so it's hard to say what is thier favorite.

I have recently made oatmeal, I put a few cups of quick oatmeal in blender, put some hot water and then pulse in blender until thickened. I then dropped 3-4 whole (in shell) boiled eggs into the mix. It made this gruel looking slop, but they went crazy for it. Oatmeal is relatively cheap. I gave it to them warm, not hot on a cool rainy damp day. They were cleaning each others beaks off where it slopped.

They also like tomatoes from the garden, any fruit (grapes are a fave), yogurt and cottage cheese. Also my boys eat lots of apples, so I save the cores for the day and throw them in and they love those too.

I usually end up giving snacks to them when still in date and good, but close to when I would toss them. Good way to clean out refrigerator if anything got shoved to the back and I already bought a new one, etc.

Mine love, love, love mealworms....ever since I gave them some as a treat...they follow me around the property like little puppies looking for more.
love.gif
I also cook rice for them...keep it in the refrigerator and give them a salad consisting of rice, cabbage, lettuce, fresh spinach, tomatoes, apples & grapes.....this happens every morning and it is gone before I can get back up to the house. Every weekend I buy them a watermelon and break it open in their run...they love those too.
wee.gif
My girls aren't spoiled at all....just loved a whole bunch!!
celebrate.gif

blueberries, grapes, tomatoes, bananas, spinach, mushrooms ... he loves every kind of fruit/veggie i've ever let him try, but blueberries are by far his favorite
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom