What's your favorite chicken breed(s) for pets and/or being affectionate.

What is your favorite chicken breed for being affectionate

• Orpington (Buff, Chocolate, Lavender, etc)

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Old English Game (OEG)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Cornish Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easter Egger (Technically not a breed but still)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Starlight Green Egger

• Prairie Bluebell Egger

• Austrolop

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Sebright (Gold and/or Silver, etc)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Wyandotte (any coloration)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Barnvelder

• Speckled Sussex

• Light Sussex

• Barred Rock

• Dominique

• Leghorn

• Silkie

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Polish

• Other (Specify in comments)

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters
Do you have any pictures and more insight on the bantam Cornish? I’m fascinated by their weirder lizard like looks and colors. I saw a bunch at a poultry show and they really intrigued me. They just don’t look very friendly, so I’m curious!
Here's one of Mr. Zoom Zoom running over for food
20220916_141200.jpg

They're a hefty breed for their size, but can still jump up and roost. Unlike CornishX, they don't have to be processed due to health problems (although like any bird, they aren't invincible). My girls love to brood. I have owned them for 3 years and had 3 go broody last year and 5 go broody this year, but they can be a bit ditzy and I have to seperate mama and babies for a few weeks.

The hens are a bit skittish, and the roosters too, but once you manage to catch them (not hard since the male's run at a speed walk, not a sprint), they calm right down and just accept it.

I personally have white laced red, white, Dark, blue laced and one partially laced jubilee.

Some have really golf ball shaped heads, but most of my birds don't. I personally love it, but I don't think you can breed them together safely, so I keep Mr. Zoom Zoom away from the golf ball headed hen.

Here's one of Mr. Zoom Zoom running over for food
View attachment 3275030
They're a hefty breed for their size, but can still jump up and roost. Unlike CornishX, they don't have to be processed due to health problems (although like any bird, they aren't invincible). My girls love to brood. I have owned them for 3 years and had 3 go broody last year and 5 go broody this year, but they can be a bit ditzy and I have to seperate mama and babies for a few weeks.

The hens are a bit skittish, and the roosters too, but once you manage to catch them (not hard since the male's run at a speed walk, not a sprint), they calm right down and just accept it.

I personally have white laced red, white, Dark, blue laced and one partially laced jubilee.

Some have really golf ball shaped heads, but most of my birds don't. I personally love it, but I don't think you can breed them together safely, so I keep Mr. Zoom Zoom away from the golf ball headed hen.
Mr Zoom Zoom, that’s a great name haha. This is great info, thanks!! Maybe someday when I get the chance I can get a couple and see what I think. They come is really pretty colors. Show quality Brahmas have a similar blocky shaped head and I like it more than I thought I would! Thanks!

They don't do good in the cold. Those pea combs get surprising frost bitten and they don't have much fluff under the feather you see, so they need somewhere absolutely draft free and preferably where they can roost close together. Mine definitely get more friendly qbout roost spacewhen winter comes
Mr Zoom Zoom, that’s a great name haha. This is great info, thanks!! Maybe someday when I get the chance I can get a couple and see what I think. They come is really pretty colors. Show quality Brahmas have a similar blocky shaped head and I like it more than I thought I would! Thanks!

They don't do good in the cold. Those pea combs get surprising frost bitten and they don't have much fluff under the feather you see, so they need somewhere absolutely draft free and preferably where they can roost close together. Mine definitely get more friendly qbout roost spacewhen winter comes
Oh that’s good to know too! They’d love it here, it’s never really colder than about 38 over night and that lasts maybe a week in December/January. Otherwise, just wet and cool if we are lucky! I hate the temps here…wish I could move back to the PNW. Someday…

Back
Top Bottom