1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's YOUR garbage cost?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 1, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    So, we've been here 4 weeks. It's been really hectic and we haven't called around for trash pickup yet, just dumpsters since we have so much to get rid of from this place.
    DH was up this morning and talked to the local trash collector. They charge $13 PER BAG to collect trash. Now, we recycle, burn and compost, so we won't have much to throw out, but isn't that price a little ridiculous? In town, we paid $35 a month for unlimited garbage.

What are you all paying??

2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Holy moley! We get a very large garbage can, plus a large "single-thread" (or all-in-one) recycling bin, and we pay $30 every other month.

We rarely have enough to fill the garbage can.

3. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    We don't have that option. We have dumpsters in town for household garbage (about 6 or 7 miles away).

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

wow expensive Ours in only 3 per bag for pick up but most is recycled burned, and fed to the chickens.

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    That is ridiculous...

The most I ever paid in PA was $45/month or $25 for 10 acceptable bags sold by the local trash pickup agency...

I'd start letter writing immediately...

People actually pay that nonsense around you and NO one complains?

Wow...

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    We don't usually have much trash -- we fill a regular sized can in about a month's time. We also do not eat meat regularly. If we do eat meat, we make sure we take that trash somewhere to be dumped right away. Sooooo, we just haul our trash to the dump once a month or so. We pay about $8 to take one can to the dump. Not bad, eh? We used to have pick-up and it seemed like a waste of money for so little trash. We also take our recycling (it's free to drop it off) when we do a trash run.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I have no idea. The guy across the street burns his trash once a week. I've never seen him put trash out. I figure, at the most, we'll be paying $13 a month for one bag of trash every Friday.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think for once a week pick up, it is about $15 or $20 a month for a 32 or 45 gallon trash can respectively. Not sure how many bags fit in each though, but 32 gallons isn't that big. The lid MUST close or you can get fined. In Seattle, I think it's about the same price and if they find paper or recycle in it, they will also fine you. All recycle and compost go in different bins.

We don't have house pick up because it is so expensive. It collects in bags behind the house and every few months we load up the truck and go to the transfer station. It is $17 minimum per "household" truck load, at a rate of about $80 per ton. For a car to enter, it is $14 flat rate. All recycling goes to the recycle station next to the transfer station which really cuts down on the waste.

9. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    geesh and i thought 30 a month was pricey.

10. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Woah, you all are making me rethink all the complaining I have been doing about our recently increased price. Went from $36.00 every 3 months to $42.00. That is 2x's a week pick up for as many cans as you happen to own and can drag to the road. No fines if the lids don't close either.
    Think I will do the "Snoopy Dance of Joy" that mine is not higher than it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by