What's your opinion on these two breeds in general...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickadee93, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    What do you think of the Plymouth rock & Rhode Island breeds? These are my two choices for my first chickens and in the end I'll only be getting one breed. What is your opinion on these two and have you had any problems/taming issues with them?

I am a total newbie (never kept chickies before) so I want a nice tame breed that's relatively common. [​IMG]

2. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I have both. In my experience, I get a lot more eggs from the Rhode Island Reds, and a lot more entertainment from the Barred Rocks. Really though, they're both lovely breeds!

And welcome!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Well, I only have bantams, but my Plymouth Rock rooster is flighty, so I don't really like him, but my hen is very sweet, very broody, and a great egg layer. My RC RIR bantams, are very nice birds- lots of personality, but the hen is kinda a poor egg layer.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I have both and love them. Why are you only getting one breed? If I had to choose it would be my Rose combed RIRs they are from a breeder and not a hatchery so she is a beautiful dark mahogany color. I love her.

5. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Only one breed for now[​IMG][​IMG]

One for now because these are going to be my first chickens and I don't want to go out and get a bizzilion and then find out I can't take care of them. I'm confident I can handle the three I'm planning on so we'll see how it goes [​IMG]

------

...and can anyone tell me how you tell if a chick is a bantam? [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks are my favorite breed, but I have some lovely, black cherry RIRs from a breeder and they are awesome girls..and very much larger than hatchery RIR types. Both are wonderful breeds.

EDITED TO ADD: I have 3 Barred Rock roosters that are awesome boys, very calm and even-tempered, even affectionate.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Why dont you just get a few of both [​IMG]

8. wolfie

wolfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You should get both you'll regret it later if you don't[​IMG]

9. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Ya know once I see them in person I probably will end up getting more than planned [​IMG]

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Since you want to stick to one breed make it the PR. You can get them in more than one color like the barred, partiridge,white and buff. That way you get color and stick with just one breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by