What's your "rule" for greasing combs?

I put vaseline on 2 of my roosters. One is a large fowl cochin and one is a mille fleur d'uccle, both of which I show so dubbing is not an option for me. I usually put it on at about 20 degrees and I only apply it every other night. My roosters love to have thier combs and waddles rubbed. I have used this method for the last 4-5 years. I only put a thin coating on so it doesnt make a mess.

Quote:
I wanted to add that I haven't had a problem with my hens at all- just the roosters. Hens like to tuck their heads under a wing and don't get their comb in the water like roos can. The roos are the only ones I've had problems with frozen combs before.

Quote:
This report was interesting. Of the four emollients used the white petrolatum (vasaline) gave a warming sensation and seemed to work the best. But...

"It is probable that one of the main reasons for the increased risk of frostbite, associated with the use of protective emollients in the cold, was not their actual, quite small lowering effect on the skin temperature, but indirectly their effect on facial thermal sensation. White petrolatum gave a skin perception of warmth, leading to a false sensation of safety in the cold, without having the presumed protective effect."

Its use in humans tends to give a false since of protection, so people don't use proper clothing or protection.

However, ... chickens who are constantly exposed anyway, it probably helps some. Who knows how much. A study needs to be done.

On a lighter note I did observe some other quotes from this study which may apply to chickens..

"Hot food and drink are recommended as external heat sources. They reduce also the risk of cold injury based on inadequate nourishment and dehydration. Working, or training at constant pace helps in prevention of wetting the clothing and cooling during the resting pauses. Direct contact with cold terrain (snow, ice, etc.) or metallic objects should be avoided by insulative material, when possible. "

perhaps making the chickens work for their food by spreading it around in the hay/pine shavings, and a heated waterer.

Also; "The radical difference of thermal loss from the head in varying performances and at rest sets great demands for the thermal properties of headgear (Table 25) and face covering garments (Table 26) in work and recreational activities in the cold."

Anyone have any suggestions for 'roo headgear'?
gig.gif

And one last idea; " Chewing of a chewing gum was shown to increase the facial skin temperature in the cold (Hannu Rintamäki, personal information 1999), probably by local increase of circulation in the masticatory muscles."

Does anyone know where I can get some scratch flavored gum?
lau.gif

estpr13 wrote: Anyone have any suggestions for 'roo headgear'?

Now that you mention it, baby socks with a draw string will cut down on the amount of picking by the hens at already cold injured tips (only other thing that works is pine tar). Cass used one of our granddaughter's socks, last winter, to accouter the crower (he tolerated it, barely). Don't know how well it would work to prevent frostbite.

Every time I'd go out to the coop and look at the poor guy I kept hearing the old Kinks song Dedicated Follower of Fashion...

012908CombCap.jpg

In four years the only frostbite was wind related. Our main concern is the radical changes in temp. (can be 60°F at noon and 19° at 8pm with below zero windchill) yoyos.​

Last edited:
gig.gif

I love the baby sock hat! That's hysterical! I guess that could possibly work for frostbite, as long as it didn't get wet, but that's a really good idea for preventing the others from picking at injuries. I'll have to keep that in mind!

Oh my gosh - that's the CUTEST picture! What a pretty roo you have!

This is my first winter with a roo that has a huge single comb, as well as huge, long, "dangly things" - I'll be Bag Balmn'it, big time - I've read several places that frostbite can actually decrease fertility. YIKES!

I'm with you Opa, I've been wearing my hat a lot lately.

Do you guys put Vaseline on the wattles too? I thought I read that somewhere. But I never thought about the wattles getting frostbite too.

I use bag balm on only the very long wattled chickens. I'm sure it isn't necessary for when they're sleeping since they'll be tucked into their feathers, but my main concern is when they get a drink in the morning and then walk around with wet wattles in super cold temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom