What's your "rule" for greasing combs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annmarie, Dec 3, 2008.

1. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I know that many of us use vaseline or bag balm on our chickens combs to prevent frostbite when it gets "really cold" at night. We must all have some rule we've made up in our heads of what "really cold" is. I'm constantly amending this rule in my own head, but typically I grease them when the forecast is somewhere between 20-25 degrees and under, and I've never had to deal with frostbite.
    What's your rule? And do you grease them every night if you're going through a cold streak, or do you have the belief that the vaseline or bag balm will last more than one night?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

My heavens, I have never ever heard of this! You have got to be kidding right? Doesn't the vasiline get just as cold?

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

No, I've heard it works and was getting ready to ask what a good temp was myself. I am thinking though that it probably has a lot to do with your relative humidity plus the cold. I imagine that if the humidity is fairly high, they are more susceptible to frostbite, but that's just me thinking out loud.

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    It works. I usually go by my ears... If my ears get real cold, then I know its time to grease up the flocks combs and such. It may be weird, but I aint never had a problem with it yet!

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I'm with you Cowboy. I've got ears that make me look like 55 Chevy with the doors open. When those flaps start tingling it's time to grease the combs. I don't like the look of dubbed roosters so I guess that keeping Frost Prevention on is just one more thing to hate about winter.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Unless I was raising exhibition poultry, I'd dub them were I you. [​IMG] Much easier than having to grease up combs everyday.

JMO

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

do you grease their little dangly chin things too?

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

and what does 'dub' mean?

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Info for the removal of comb & wattles (i.e. dubbing) for frostbite prevention can be found here . [​IMG] There is also a great article in the latest Backyard Poultry magazine on dubbing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:In my opinion that would wreck the whole appearance of my birds. I'm only worried about my roos anyway- I've never had a problem with my hens. That only leaves 3 really to worry about out of all of them (6 roos) and I'd much rather do that than dub.

JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by