Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

It's been awhile since I posted here, I've been busy with school.

Here is one of my cockerels I hatched last spring (The photo is a little dark and ignore the Ameruacana in the back ground). I like him, I just hope he fills out a little more.

I remember seeing pics of your birds @Budda's Birds
, they were very nice. Glad to see you're still breeding Wheatens. :thumbsup

Thank you, This is the first spring I'll be able to truly focus on breeding these birds like I want to. They are my favorite variety of Marans. I enjoy nothing more then looking out the window and seeing my flock. :)

I'll try to get good photos of him and my back up cockerels and a few the hens and pullets I plan on using.

Quote: I couldn't decide which of the three cockerels to keep based on color, so I'm going to go off of personality I guess. They are all very sweet, but #1 is much more pushy and aggressive already than the other two. I like #2 because his comb is smaller, but I know that will likely change over time. I also like #3's darker color. I'm looking to rehome #1, which sadly means he'll probably end up in the freezer, but at least he's having a blast free ranging while he waits.

I couldn't decide which of the three cockerels to keep based on color, so I'm going to go off of personality I guess.  They are all very sweet, but #1 is much more pushy and aggressive already than the other two.  I like #2 because his comb is smaller, but I know that will likely change over time.  I also like #3's darker color.  I'm looking to rehome #1, which sadly means he'll probably end up in the freezer, but at least he's having a blast free ranging while he waits.  
theylookvery dark and is there a wind triangle?

The spell is broken! One of my Wheatens laid an egg today. :-D Now if those other girls would hurry up I could get over the shame of having to buy eggs at the store a few weeks ago...

The spell is broken! One of my Wheatens laid an egg today. :-D Now if those other girls would hurry up I could get over the shame of having to buy eggs at the store a few weeks ago...

That's the disadvantage of Marans. They are inconsistent layers. That's why I have two red sexlinks and a brown leghorn. That way I have eggs all the time so I don't have to buy store eggs.

UGH! Store eggs!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom