Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

To young yo tell and close up picswould be better and split wing would of showed up already. but ftom what i can see they look ok
Hi there everyone, I am new to this thread and thought I'd participate by posting some pics for your kind consideration! I breed Swedish Flower Hens, but I acquired a dozen hatching eggs from a local Marans breeder this spring. Out of the batch only two hatched, and both turned out to be hens. They are now about 3 mos old and I just love them. I got them mostly because I love the brown eggs but it would not hurt my feelings if they turned out to be show/breeding quality. I am keeping an eye on one of them for split wing, but she isn't old enough to know for sure yet. So, any comments about correctness/flaws would be appreciated!

There's not much happening in this thread so I thought I post some pics.
Here are the results from my May 15th hatch. They are almost 12 weeks old.
Four females, two of them with long black tails and two with light grey short tails:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I had an interesting hatch on my second go round. Only three of these were females, but we lost one. One has an odd color. I think she's pretty, but I won't breed her. However I am curious to see what she turns out to look like. These girls are almost 8 weeks old. See how dark the odd one is?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next hatch only had two females. Can you tell which ones they are?
They are almost 4 weeks old:

Someone send me a pm if you want males! I can hook you up.

Last edited:
in my experience the dark backed hens or to much mahogany can lead to to much dis coloration in the creamy under color or spotted brest . . theirs picks of hens I have on Australian wheaten marans web page (black dot runs that site) its a example of hen to dark or hen that's right side by side

Hi all. I have a 6-week old Wheaten pullet that I hatched. The eggs came from show quality stock, I was hoping to show locally. She was the only that hatched out of 8 eggs. I have done some more research, and I noticed the leg color on many of the Wheatens I see is pinkish-white. My pullet has a slate/gray leg color. Is that bad? She is one of the smallest, too - I hatched some Blue Coppers at the same time. If I can't show her I may sell her. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi all. I have a 6-week old Wheaten pullet that I hatched. The eggs came from show quality stock, I was hoping to show locally. She was the only that hatched out of 8 eggs. I have done some more research, and I noticed the leg color on many of the Wheatens I see is pinkish-white. My pullet has a slate/gray leg color. Is that bad? She is one of the smallest, too - I hatched some Blue Coppers at the same time. If I can't show her I may sell her. Any advice is appreciated.

From the picture you appear to have the wrong color legs. The wheaten should have white legs.

Well, this thread is very quiet now. f:

If anyone is still looking, what colour should wheaten or blue wheaten chick down be? Whitish or yellow? I seem to have both in the last batch. They will be blue wheaten and wheaten, does that make a difference?

One of the white ones

A group shot, (there may be a couple that are a bit too dark, Araucana crosses)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom