Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Well I've never tried it! That's just what I thought to be the case. Hoping someone who's tried it or something like it can clarify a little more. Snowbird?
Actually here's what I think would happen.. And I could be totally nuts.. But I think the first generation would look black copper but carry wheaten.. The next generation would have a mix of wheaten and black copper and all black coppers would be "project" birds because they would carry wheaten which you don't want in black coppers.

Quote: I like your thoughts .... yea Snowbird would be the one !!

I have worked with the Wheaten marans in the past. One thing to remember in crossing these varietys or any other. Use a male in the color that you would like the chicks. If you are looking for wheaten young use a Wheaten Male over the BC female. Cull all the male offspring soon as you can tell if they are male. Breed the pullets back to a pure male the first year. After the first year you will be able to mix in some of the different matings to speed things along.

I would suggest that in a experiment like this for you to do all single matings.

I have a trio of 1/2 grown BC and Wheaten young that I will post sometime today when it quits raining. They will explain where most of the Mossy wrong colored Marans are basically coming from.

Interesting. I thought wheaten was basically a modifying gene color to black copper color and that though there would be obviously black copper culls in the group.... The wheaten ones would be as wheaten as any other wheaten hens.

Wheaten is definitely NOT a 'modifying gene' for black copper, they are a totally different set of alleles. However this is above my pay grade, so I will leave it alone. The wheaten and "black red" behaves the same in any breed, so any person familiar with genetics can help you.

Wheaten is definitely NOT a 'modifying gene' for black copper, they are a totally different set of alleles. However this is above my pay grade, so I will leave it alone. The wheaten and "black red" behaves the same in any breed, so any person familiar with genetics can help you.
Thanks for your comment on this and ill search around to find out more about black red and wheaten as well as mossy color! Thank you

I have worked with the Wheaten marans in the past. One thing to remember in crossing these varietys or any other. Use a male in the color that you would like the chicks. If you are looking for wheaten young use a Wheaten Male over the BC female. Cull all the male offspring soon as you can tell if they are male. Breed the pullets back to a pure male the first year. After the first year you will be able to mix in some of the different matings to speed things along.

I would suggest that in a experiment like this for you to do all single matings.

I have a trio of 1/2 grown BC and Wheaten young that I will post sometime today when it quits raining. They will explain where most of the Mossy wrong colored Marans are basically coming from.
Wow I would LOVE to see pictures of the cross!

Quote:
I just uploaded eight pictures of the 1/2 Wheaten and 1/2 BC Marans. Notice all the extra color on male and female. The male also has white legs and some white undercolor. This cross is what caused a lot of the BC Marans to be junk. Be very careful if you make the cross. I made this cross to prove where a lot of the CULL BC Marans were coming. The pictures are on my profile page,

Quote:
I just uploaded eight pictures of the 1/2 Wheaten and 1/2 BC Marans. Notice all the extra color on male and female. The male also has white legs and some white undercolor. This cross is what caused a lot of the BC Marans to be junk. Be very careful if you make the cross. I made this cross to prove where a lot of the CULL BC Marans were coming. The pictures are on my profile page,

Thanks Snowbird ,
These are some good illustrations .
Look forward to your Posts .
Shannon

Thanks! So those are the first generation cross...are you planning to breed these hens back to a wheaten rooster? Would you expect problems with the resulting Wheaten colored offspring? I realize the off color black copper offspring are culls. I know plenty of people who do not own roosters (cannot own roosters) and would be happy to have these female "culls".

Thanks! So those are the first generation cross...are you planning to breed these hens back to a wheaten rooster? Would you expect problems with the resulting Wheaten colored offspring? I realize the off color black copper offspring are culls. I know plenty of people who do not own roosters (cannot own roosters) and would be happy to have these female "culls".

I do not plan on breeding these cross pullets or male any farther , but I will keep them around and maybe use the pullets in a experimental BC second generation.
I do not recommend that anyone breeding the Wheaten with the APA SOP in mind use this .I do not know how many generations it would take but am well aware that I will be long gone before you could have SOP type females with the proper color.

This cross was made to show what a lot of the BC over colored Marans were coming from. Anyone can upgrade the Wheaten just by the process of breeding them and culling real hard.

The only Marans I have left at the present time are a few BC Marans.

Back
Top Bottom