Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Your he's look lovely, several of them do have very nice color, especially throughout their tails.

Your male appears to have a split breast though, as well as a lot of White throughout his plumage?

Is he your only breeding rooster?

I love the color in your hens. The picture of the hen and chicks is very sweet.

Thanks! They are laying nice dark eggs too!

Quote:

Actually, he was loosing some feathers at the time that picture was taken. He is the Rooster in my avatar. He does have that white at the base of the tail though. Also, he has a small white spot of feathers at the bottom of the chest.
No, he's not my only Roo. Right now I am breeding the pullets I got out of him and the hens in the pictures to my Roo #2. I got #2 shipped in special from Tennessee.

I also have a #3 Roo in waiting. He's in with my Red Stars and I will put him with the girls I get out of #2 and the pullets hatched from the Roo and hens in the pics. I can't wait to get him breeding He's my best looking fella. I got both #2 and #3 (Cottage Hill) as chicks and raised them up.

Side Note: Since #3 was in the pen with my son's Red Star hens, I hatched a few eggs to see what they might look like. Here's the results (so far).

I need some opinions from the experts.

I just hatched my own Wheaten Marans for the first time.

I bought chicks last summer from two sources, and I've had hatching eggs shipped to me.

The chicks I got last summer are the ones that produced the eggs that hatched two days ago.

Two of them have spots. Is that normal? Also, several chicks have a reddish cast to them. The Wheatens I raised before these were almost white IIRC.

Here are the two with the spots.

Those pics were taken when they were fresh out of the incubator. They are two days old now and the spots are even more defined. I can take more pics if anyone needs to see them.

Can I hear some expert opinions about crossing Wheaten with Black-Tail Buff? I've been told it's bad practice, but a show breeder explained to me how they do it. So I did some searching and found info on the MOAC website: http://maransofamericaclub.com/wheatenmarans.php Apparently it can be acceptable in some circumstances.

I'm not planning on doing it, no way no how, I don't want to go through the pain of separating out the two colors after they've been crossed. But I want to understand why some breeders are doing it.

Can I hear some expert opinions about crossing Wheaten with Black-Tail Buff? I've been told it's bad practice,
Whats so bad about it? what the So Called Expert say about such genetic cross?

To me its about the Easiest way to diversify the genetic pool of such a Rare breed, I mean I have seen how wheaten Maran chicks pup out of "pure" Black Coppers, and the owner were like, but I was told they were pure, well they are pure Marans, just not pure for the Birchen gen, you see Black Coppers are ER/ER and wheaten marans are eWh/eWh but when you make the cross the F1s are ER/eWh Indistinguishable from pure ER/ER as ER is dominant over wheate eWh..

Now the same could be say about wheaten x Black Tail Buff, the Black tails have the exact same genetic make up as wheaten maran except they carry Dominant Db, Dark brown, a powerful columbian like restrictore(like columbia but mor powerful) so if you cross Wheaten which genetic make up is eWh/eWh(wheaten) s+/s+(gold) db+/db+(non restricted) with Black Tailed Buff, which genetic make up is eWh/eWh(wheaten) s+/s+ Db/Db(dark brown columbian restricted) if you cross both of this, you will get eWh/eWh s+s+ Db/db+ birds, the Males will look just like pure Db, the females may also look restricted.

so whats so bad about it? unless Black Tailed Buffs lay brown eggs instead of chocolate color eggs, I would breed both color to improve upon the Black Tailed Buffs

Whats so bad about it?

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom