Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

So I am confused...
Rexy and bangarang-

You are saying if it's a blue wheaten maran i--it should have blue be the dominant color vs that brown and orange?

So could this be another kind of wheaten maran if it's not blue, or does this appear to fall outside any of the show qualities for wheaten marans?

There was a cockerel that was it's brother that looked similar to the above pic of the wheaten maran...

Thank u so much again.
Here is another pic if it's helpful.

So I am confused...
Rexy and bangarang-

You are saying if it's a blue wheaten maran i--it should have blue be the dominant color vs that brown and orange?

So could this be another kind of wheaten maran if it's not blue, or does this appear to fall outside any of the show qualities for wheaten marans?

There was a cockerel that was it's brother that looked similar to the above pic of the wheaten maran...

Thank u so much again.

This is a pic of a young blue wheaten at similar age.

There is no other wheaten colour, there is blue or normal. In this country, because it is not an established breed, you do get odd colours from time to time. Your birds should not really have that problem. They also do not really look like marans in type, too 'gamey'. Sorry, I do not mean to offend, I am no expert and my birds are far from perfect.

I am not sure why they have the whitish face.

Last edited:
This is a pic of a young blue wheaten at similar age.

There is no other wheaten colour, there is blue or normal. In this country, because it is not an established breed, you do get odd colours from time to time. Your birds should not really have that problem. They also do not really look like marans in type, too 'gamey'. Sorry, I do not mean to offend, I am no expert and my birds are far from perfect.

I am not sure why they have the whitish face.

Gotcha! Thank u so much - I am not offended whatsoever! I know nothing about these marans I bought. Shame because they were expensive chicks and supposed to be top of the line.
I have some pretty blue copper marans I will be keeping and breeding that look totally different from these slender "wheaten" ones in the pics I posted-- and since they are not quality--(now I know) that explains why they look so different.

Any more criticism is welcome :) I'm here to learn. Thanks again!!

I would demand my money back!
Not as advertised! This happened to me once in Marans. I sent pics of the way off-color chicks in juvenile plumage to the breeder. She offered me my money back but I declined because I really learned a lot from them. But really you should demand your money back!
Blue Copper Wheaten, what are they?
There is nothing to learn from these birds, they are simply a coloring mess.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
So I am confused...
Rexy and bangarang-

Thank u so much again.

i forgot how old you said they are, the white face is a bit odd to me but the feathering color doesn't really look off, i think he is just immature because the blue wheatens end up with blue underfluff and blue breast feathering, prettymuch the same patterning as my blue wheaten ams, and they look like this at a young age. I would not discard his chances yet but if you can wait a while and see if he feathers in better than this. about 3 1/2 to 4 months is when you really start to see something,

well this is just my opinion simply because i never ceases to amaze me how much they change as they mature. if he were mine i'd wait a little while first.

also not all shades of blue are equal..

Last edited:
These are my two new girls. They are my first marans! I know very little about the breed, but I think they are very pretty. I am getting two more of these girls. Do I have a blue wheaten and a regular wheaton? Dont laugh lol, I am really new with marans.

Back
Top Bottom