Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

These are my two new girls. They are my first marans! I know very little about the breed, but I think they are very pretty. I am getting two more of these girls. Do I have a blue wheaten and a regular wheaton? Dont laugh lol, I am really new with marans.
Very nice, and yes, you do have a blue wheaten and a normal wheaten girl!

Need help figuring out what color this maran chick is. Any ideas? She looks golden/blue? My hens are all: blue, blue copper, and a black. There is some cuckoo genetics in my blue hens from my past projects, and possibly birchen. My current roo is blue copper splash, we did have a blue copper roo but he passed away. The blue copper boy was from last years hatch, looks similar to the blue wheaten roo on here..but not 100% sure. So this chick is my surprise chick...my other chicks from our hatches have been blue, blue splash, blue copper, black, and also occasionally a black with red/brown lacing.

Need help figuring out what color this maran chick is. Any ideas? She looks golden/blue? My hens are all: blue, blue copper, and a black. There is some cuckoo genetics in my blue hens from my past projects, and possibly birchen. My current roo is blue copper splash, we did have a blue copper roo but he passed away. The blue copper boy was from last years hatch, looks similar to the blue wheaten roo on here..but not 100% sure. So this chick is my surprise chick...my other chicks from our hatches have been blue, blue splash, blue copper, black, and also occasionally a black with red/brown lacing.
leg color is wrong for wheaten it should be yellow as a chick and turned a pinkish white by that age not the greyish black that I see

Many Thanks!
I just wish they would lay that dark all the time!

I sold all my wheatens but looking at your eggs made me want to hatch some, i'd be interested in some. Do you have separate flocks
or are they all in the one big flock.. (just thinking about avoiding brother/sister relationships down the line). can you pm me?

Last edited:
I sold all my wheatens but looking at your eggs made me want to hatch some, i'd be interested in some. Do you have separate flocks
or are they all in the one big flock.. (just thinking about avoiding brother/sister relationships down the line). can you pm me?

Hey there Runaway,

To answer your question, I have three different flocks right now, My original hens and my "old man" cottage hill roo was sent to me from Tennessee is the first generation. Now, from the eggs hatched from them I have my laying flock that I'm selling eggs from now. Those hens are covered by another roo that is not related to their dad, but he is of Cottager Hill line also,
My third flock is the third generation. they are selected pullets hatched from generation number two. I have a another rooster that is in a holding pen with some Red Star hens, waiting till these girls of the third generation get old enough. (also not related)

I am running out of room. Of my first hens, I have two left, along with my original rooster, and all three are for sale. Their eggs are not as dark though.
I am currently selling eggs from generation 2, and i have 14 pullets out of generation 2 that I'm calling generation 3. They are coming along nicely. I will probably hatch more from generation 2, and try to sell the chicks if anyone local would like them. (dang, I wish there was a chicken swap in South Florida!) I also will be selling the pullets of generation 3 that don't make the cut) color has to be just right!)

I'll pm you for about egg info !

Hey there Runaway,

To answer your question, I have three different flocks right now, My original hens and my "old man" cottage hill roo was sent to me from Tennessee is the first generation. Now, from the eggs hatched from them I have my laying flock that I'm selling eggs from now. Those hens are covered by another roo that is not related to their dad, but he is of Cottager Hill line also,
My third flock is the third generation. they are selected pullets hatched from generation number two. I have a another rooster that is in a holding pen with some Red Star hens, waiting till these girls of the third generation get old enough. (also not related)

I am running out of room. Of my first hens, I have two left, along with my original rooster, and all three are for sale. Their eggs are not as dark though.
I am currently selling eggs from generation 2, and i have 14 pullets out of generation 2 that I'm calling generation 3. They are coming along nicely. I will probably hatch more from generation 2, and try to sell the chicks if anyone local would like them. (dang, I wish there was a chicken swap in South Florida!) I also will be selling the pullets of generation 3 that don't make the cut) color has to be just right!)

Hmm... so your gen2 is laying dark eggs, this makes me think that eggs from your Gen 1 would be a good idea, and then some from your gen2, but if you are bringing the roo from outside then they may actually hatch lighter.. some from each would work, i sent you a pm..

on the swap, i haven't yet got the courage up to ask at the local feed store about them holding one, i'm thinking they might look at me funny. but yeah it would be awesome...

Hey there Runaway,

Bangarang64 there should be big chickens auctions/swaps in south Florida .... the buyers up here tell me that all the chickens they buy over the southeast are hauled to the south Florida markets/swaps/auctions . I think most of the immigrants don't trust grocery store chicken .

Bangarang64 there should be big chickens auctions/swaps in south Florida .... the buyers up here tell me that all the chickens they buy over the southeast are hauled to the south Florida markets/swaps/auctions . I think most of the immigrants don't trust grocery store chicken .

well.... i live in the redlands and what you say is true that many of the people here like to process their own chickens, mostly the folks in the redlands and homestead and also the old school cuban people like it too.. BUT miami dade doesn't allow chickens unless you are zoned ag (as far as I know) so this really dampens the market. Also for all that chicken eating there is precious little $$ involved, it does help me to give away excess cockerels. I don't know of any swaps, or auctions within 100 miles of my home.. I know a lady who had some chickens in pinecrest and they fined her 5K, she ended up culling them all and moving to Ga.

well.... i live in the redlands and what you say is true that many of the people here like to process their own chickens, mostly the folks in the redlands and homestead and also the old school cuban people like it too.. BUT miami dade doesn't allow chickens unless you are zoned ag (as far as I know) so this really dampens the market. Also for all that chicken eating there is precious little $$ involved, it does help me to give away excess cockerels. I don't know of any swaps, or auctions within 100 miles of my home.. I know a lady who had some chickens in pinecrest and they fined her 5K, she ended up culling them all and moving to Ga.
lol .... no there's very little (if any) money to be made in backyard chickens .... some might make enough to buy feed but the getting paid by the hour is out of reach . Yes a lady was fined and made to get rid of all her chickens up here in south Alabama (Ozark) . It's not limited to big cities anymore .
I have heard of Homestead but where is the Redlands ?

Back
Top Bottom