Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Here's another pic
yep, looks like a Wheaten to me

This is the portion of the wing known as the triangle. Wheatens should have a brown triangle, whereas Black Copper Marans should have a solid black wing with no triangle.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I was told.

This is the portion of the wing known as the triangle. Wheatens should have a brown triangle, whereas Black Copper Marans should have a solid black wing with no triangle. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I was told.
that is a great illustration! Thank you. It made it very clear to understand. I am still learning and now I know. I've already been told my roo has a squirrel tail and that its a common bad trait in Marans. Too bad, he's so big and beautiful. I will most likely cull him and get a better one. I just have a mixed backyard flock and he was actually suppose to be a RIR (that's what the girl I got him from said he was) I got him young (he's only 10 months old) and knew he wasn't a RIR when his shank feathers started becoming more prominent. Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
Does this egg (the darker one) look like it could have come from my Wheaten Marans? This woud have been her first egg, if it is hers, but it seems kind of big, when compared to an egg from one of my 1 year old pullets. But, I've not gotten any this color before, that I've noticed, so I'm thinking it has to be hers. The only other new layers I have are an Ameraucana and a BLRW.

Back
Top Bottom