Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
not crossing lines is a way to selective breed lol
Quote:
Why is crossing lines so terrible?

I dont think it is, but I read it a lot. My BCs are all mixed and I'm happy with them.
smile.png

For those that say mixing lines will ruin a bird's egg color, yours should be testament that there's no truth to that at all!
droolin.gif

Quote:

But wouldn't selective breeding fix that issue?

Quote:
Pretty boy, but I see the cottonball and a couple of white sickle feathers as well (in the second pic). Being 5 months old, he may molt them out in his adult molt?

The one in the forefront of the picture is almost 3...the younger one is towards the rear. He does have a little fluff but not too bad. I really hadn't noticed the white in his sickle feathers....I'm going to have to check them out in the light tomorrow. In the one picture it looks like it's the sky showing thru the space between his feathers.

I eyeballed his tail this morning when I was choring and he definately has some white on that one tail feather.......maybe I'll just pluck it out! Just kidding.

From reading the recent post I believe some should compare the French and USA proposed standard. It has been stated that the Proposed Wheaten standard is only a rough draft and not a finished product. If you compare the two for Black Copper you will find very little differences there. You will never find two National standards that are exactly the same.

In stead of the argueing about what the APA should do why not someone list all the differences in the two National Standards and then go from there. Bev Davis has stated that her group will begin going over the proposed Wheaten standard soon. If you want to be a part of this and do not belong to the club Join and you will have a chance to voice your concerns. I can only say that the present Wheaten standard will not be the final description, at least I hope it is not.
Anyone that has been involved with chickens and other animals knows the Governing body is not always very popular, and we can not always get included what we think is the proper way to do things. Myself on the whole I think the APA-ABA do a very good job and at the present I do not have a connection to either club.

We should have some info. from Walt tomorrow about the white feathers. Don

Quote:
Ok, so now that there is a greater understanding of genetics why aren't they changing the way they decide things, taking all into consideration? I am someone on the outside looking in as far as showing chickens so I apologize for the uneducated way I'm seeing things as I don't want to offend anyone but I realize the logic behind double pen breeding for show purposes but it just seems that if we take a breed of animal or even a species for that matter and put them all together they should breed true and if they don't then something is wrong. We aren't doing the breed any favors by breeding this way and whats the use of doing it just to show when they will never breed true (according to the SOP)on their own? When I was a keeper at the San Diego Wild Animal Park one thing I observed was that every species and/or sub species always bred true. There was very little variation between each animal in the herd and each baby born from those animals. The only way to tell them apart was their ear notches and males and females or a Rhino that had half his ear torn off in a fight. I know purebred animal breeding and showing has gone on for years and actually I am getting into something that could get very in debth so I'm just going to say sometimes I think there is a little bit too much human manipulation. Just let nature take care of some of this stuff and let her tell you what to do. But as far as showing, the APA rules, so goes it.

Grace,

I agree with a lot of what you just said there. New eyes do see things differently for sure. The problem is here that this breed has had a short span of years, especially in this country. Here in the USA, there is a limited gene pool as well, so the problems we are encountering at this time, are probably going to go on for a period of time until someone gets (and releases) a new set, or sets, of genes. The animals you speak of have been in existence for many years. Until we can breed Marans as typically as Beagles, which look like a stamped version of each previous generation, there will be problems and faults. It can be done, but it takes time. While I hope the Marans does get APA approval, in the back of my mind I keep thinking, it may be too soon.
hide.gif
I don't have experience with chicken show breeding, but I do know it took many years for breeds of other animals to be recognized by their respective club authorities, as a "consistently" produced breed or variety. Just saying....

I guess one of the things I was trying to say was nature didn't use double pen breeding. This said, is the use of double pen breeding not just to create an SOP bird but also looked at as a way to shortcut the development of a new breed therefore temporary? Once the roos and hens breed true in their prospective pens there will be a point where they will all breed true? It seems I need some more education in this method of breeding because after reading posts on these breed threads it sounds like if you breed a bird based on double pen breeding it will be a disaster to ever think they will breed true when placed together. It looks to me that you are actually creating two separate breeds. The roo being one breed and the hen being another.

Quote:
The way I understand it is you have one breeding pen with individuals who will prodice the best roo and another breeding pen with individuals who will produce the best hens.

OK, I thought it might be a line producing show winners with no regard to egg color and another line producing dark egg color.

Thanks,
Joe

Quote:
Actually not a bad idea mainly to see if grows back white or normal color. At the same time feed the bird a different mix to see if diet impacts feather color.

Joe

Quote:
Actually not a bad idea mainly to see if grows back white or normal color. At the same time feed the bird a different mix to see if diet impacts feather color.

Joe

I'm thinking it didn't appear until his molt this fall. I spend a lot of time out there with my birds and I can't believe I hadn't seen it if it had been there all along.

Quote:
Why is crossing lines so terrible?

I dont think it is, but I read it a lot. My BCs are all mixed and I'm happy with them.
smile.png

Disregarding egg color for the moment what other breeds could be brought in to eliminate the white puffball?

Joe

Back
Top Bottom