Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:
Fluff in the base of the tail is a a tail covert problem and it is considered a fault in all breeds that I can think of at the moment (except large OEG because they are tight feathered, Marans are not supposed to be tight feathered). There have been pics of wheaten Marans on this site that do not show fluff. There are pics in this thread of at least one or two without it. If you don't show Marans I suppose it is no problem at all other than faults rarely fix themselves. I don't believe that fluff has always been a problem with Marans as it seems to be more of a problem in wheaten Marans than any of the other colors.
IMO it is caused by something that has been mixed into that color that is causing weak or none existent tail coverts....a fault.

Walt

Quote:
Can I help you run this rescue foundation? I mean, the effort seems tremendous, you can't possibly do it all by yourself.
tongue.png

Quote:
now it actually makes sense to me, this is the explanation that makes me understand - tightly feathered versus loosely feathered. Thank you, Walt.
smile.png

Jeremy - I will need all the help I can get simply due to the sheer number of birds. Thank you.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi David,
Do all European countries use the same colour card for grading Marans eggs? Is it possible to order a European colour card? If so from who?
Joe

The Common European Standard uses the card produced by the French Club. I think you could order from their website.

Quote:
Fluff in the base of the tail is a a tail covert problem and it is considered a fault in all breeds that I can think of at the moment (except large OEG because they are tight feathered, Marans are not supposed to be tight feathered). There have been pics of wheaten Marans on this site that do not show fluff. There are pics in this thread of at least one or two without it. If you don't show Marans I suppose it is no problem at all other than faults rarely fix themselves. I don't believe that fluff has always been a problem with Marans as it seems to be more of a problem in wheaten Marans than any of the other colors.
IMO it is caused by something that has been mixed into that color that is causing weak or none existent tail coverts....a fault.

Walt

So, my understanding is that this is a result of poor coverts.

So, if I were to stick to the plan of working on the tails, I presume this can be overcome in time.

It is all possible.

BTW, my birds are staying home, cotton or not.
big_smile.png

Could someone post pictures showing an example of good tail coverts versus the poor tail coverts....preferably on a Wheaten but any type would be appreciated. I think a lot of people, especially people new to breeding, could understand a lot of this more fully if we could have pictures of these faults, DQ's, etc where possible.

I am trying to learn from our more experienced breeders who are willing to share experiences.

Thanks to everyone who has already shared so much on this thread.

Peggy

Back
Top Bottom