Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Bargain, there was a pic from either nivtup or Berkeley a ways back on this thread showing clearly the differenceof boy vs girl Wheaties, very nice picture. Later today will try to locate and post the message number here.

young hen and roo
20346_mvc00056.jpg
20346_mvc00048.jpg
20346_mvc00112.jpg

Precious! That's what I needed, I'll show this to him...Randy, I owe you...I'm so happy you posted this! It's bookmarked on his computer now!!! Nancy

your so welcome , i have thousands of pictures of many wheaten marans of all ages , and any younger than 10 days they look the same lucky for me i only wotrk with wheaten marans. i wanted to pick one color and do what i could and learn as much as i can from others and almost 3 years into it i hardly scratched the surface

Quote:

It's true...One thing I've realized is that the older the Marans (including wheaten) the deeper the egg color....I wonder why? They also continue to grow until they are three years old, so maybe the "paint" device gets stronger?

Love all my marans.....If ever you need some new blood in yours be sure to contact me... Well, I better get off the computer the storm is heading our way!

So I've gotta ask - Is anyone here doing any specific breeding, or pair breedings? I'm looking for some new, good quality Wheatens for my flock to widen the genepool a little, and I'm really loving what I've been seeing now and then, but only in small amounts. (for example, a hen or two in a breeding flock of more than 4 hens)

So, does anyone offer hatching eggs from certain pairs or certain hens? Anyone else besides me keep track of who lays what?

Illia, I'm about to sign off as we are under tornado warning, but quickly I have only the darkest colored egg layers in with my best roosters and my egg layers that don't lay deep enough colors are just in an eating egg pin. I've been very satisfied with my confirmation , amount of feathering on shanks, etc. I'm still working with them and will be until forever. we do sell eggs. and only sell from our breeding tractor. Pics are a few posts earlier of our birds, etc.

Let me know if you are interested. I can send 12 eggs at a time and usually a few more. Thanks Nancy

Illia,

I know what you mean. I've seen several folks that have some awesomely colored hens in their flock, but the rest, not so much. I would like to know this as well; would someone take the time to pair off a couple/few of their best hens to their best roo, and sell eggs from there? Of course, a decent colored egg would be much appreciated too!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom