Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

no pair breeding here , i just added 6 more hens iv been hatching out for the past few months , i have a very small bunch of wheatens just 6 hens around 3 years old
.i am mostly waiting on egg color from breeding this guy with the 3 year olds
20346_1_year_old_roo_verry_dark.jpg
this is a long term project ,the picture is a few months back showing snow on the ground , i have learned that my birds look best at around 2 years old and same with egg color improves some after 2 years , i have a web site but sell very very few eggs most of the birds i sell are threw the local papers , i just dont have enough hens anymore . i have 7 more chicks a few weeks old in the brooder and another 8 eggs cooking now due to hatch next sunday people eather love the atraction or they dont
but i think this roo loves his girls
20346_mvc00199.jpg

Quote:
Randy was pretty quick on the "job" some nice pics there.

Nivtup posted some close up comparisons on post#857 Wheaten Marans thread...this thread. Sorry it took me so long to peruse. Had this same question about a month ago and everyone was quick to respond. Love BYC!!!

Quote:
Illia, I had planned on doing all single matings this year but am not able to because of culling to many of the wheaten males. I no longer have any mercy when culling as it speeds up the process so much. My female are as good as any I have seen and I posted a picture of what they look like a few pages back. Don

which one should i keep???
i have two adorable 5 week old wheaten marans pullets. i get to choose first but i only get to keep one. which one should i pick? or is it too early to tell? they look very different to me and i don't know which is better. all help greatly appreciated. smile

number one...
84916_photo_2.jpg

number two...
84916_photo.jpg

both together
84916_photo_3.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The leg feathering really looks good, this is one trait I like about the wheaten Marans. They have really good leg feathering compared to some of the other varieties.

Back
Top Bottom