Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Quote:
Randy, the old genetics I know are hillbilly genetics. Put two birds together and if you do not like the young, change partners and try again. The only time I have seen the feathered middle toe was when some of them have had heavy feathering. Same thing with the Rudimentary outside toe. I just do what has always worked for me.

I had also wondered where or what they were comparing to when the feathering description said "sparse". Are they comparing it to other breeds like Cochins or Brahmas, which I assume are heavily feathered? To me sparse doesn't quite fit the meaning of what it should look like. I do have some here with what I consider sparse. Those birds have a thin line of feathering down the outside of the leg, and only one of them has A toe feather, and I DON'T LIKE IT. One even has a break in the thin line. To me, "medium feathering" would be a better description, also to include, "extending from the top of the leg, running only down the outside, and extending to the ends of the outside toes only". You only need to look at my avatar, Clyde, to see what I consider correct leg/toe feathering!
lol.png

Quote:
Randy, the old genetics I know are hillbilly genetics. Put two birds together and if you do not like the young, change partners and try again. The only time I have seen the feathered middle toe was when some of them have had heavy feathering. Same thing with the Rudimentary outside toe. I just do what has always worked for me.

Square dance breeding??
lau.gif
When I get the other pens up, then I can really do-si-do!!
gig.gif

don im old and and slow but your poultry man skills beat anyone on the thred but u my friend are a old hillbilly that went to collage with loads of knowlage and darn it debbi , us east costers only know the boot scoot boogee

Quote:

Quote:

Not at the moment, no I do not. My egg customers (for eating) requested some, along with my current blues and browns (no white eggs here). I do love Wheaten and Blue Wheaten birds, so am going with these. I am filling up my layers pen again this month. I just ordered a third incubator as a hatcher... I have a bad habit of setting 96 eggs at a time.

OOOOhhhh Pepsnick!!!! Yikers, don't you know I love my Marans, the wheatens, the bcms, the bbsm's, all of them......I'm trying to get some white marans so they could free range in the winter:) Actually the wheaten females to me are so beautiful...I just love them! Don't worry Pepsnick, I won't put you on a dns list!!! If you go to the "chicks" for sale, I have quite a few wheaten marans and females if you are interested and can make a road trip, please let me know!!

Quote:
In a couple weeks we are going to Jeckyll Island... Not sure if you are really on the way, but if so than I would love to stop by! And pick up some chicks... Maybe all of them.
gig.gif

Quote:

Ha! By the time Boot-Scootin' came along, (and Garth), country music was long gone dead to me! When old Hank died, so did REAL country! Maybe a Yankee from a wee age, but I loved the old country songs. And yes, did my share of Square Dancing too!
lol.png

Quote:
In a couple weeks we are going to Jeckyll Island... Not sure if you are really on the way, but if so than I would love to stop by! And pick up some chicks... Maybe all of them.
gig.gif

Hey I'm still in the State, you could zig zag and see the state park near us! That's a great idea! Let me know.... Or you could make a trip on the weekend here - better idea! then you get the pick of the litter! Oops, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, now back to the discussion at hand!!!!

Quote:
gig.gif

Hey I'm still in the State, you could zig zag and see the state park near us! That's a great idea! Let me know.... Or you could make a trip on the weekend here - better idea! then you get the pick of the litter! Oops, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, now back to the discussion at hand!!!!

That would be great. Yes, back to Marans!

Back
Top Bottom