Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Quote:
The F1 offspring should appear as blue/black, probably with some red leakage, and will dark legs.

I think it would be easier to get a blue wheaten to mix with your Wheatens.

Then again, I may be wrong.....

wink.png

Quote:
Hi Randy,
OK, your "good Looking" roo came from your original Davis roo, was the hen that produced your "good Looking" roo a Davis bird as well? Was the hen that produced the birds with yellow legs a sister of the "good Looking" roo?

I hope that makes sense.
Joe

Last edited:
Quote:
You should ask Village to make sure but that original Rooster was split for yellow legs either then hens have yellow legs or the right color roosters are split for it that why it shows up in the 3rd or more generations. To check the rooster breed him to a yellow legged hen if all the chicks have yellow legs he's split you can cull for the trait that way to get rid of it somehow it's kind of sex-linked males have 2 copies hen's have one......yellow legs "crop out"in Marans from stock with the correct leg color for this very reason.....

yes you are correct like we said all marans should be feathered shanks , outter toe , all the wheaten marans i have are feathered shank
Quote:
I don't believe the Wheaten variety has been accepted into the APA, at the moment it's just the Black Coppers. There is a proposed standard but nothing has been "set in stone" so to speak.

Also there was an American Standard written for the breed, again at least for the BCs, so the French Standard no longer applies to those birds... if you're breeding here in the US towards our standard.

Once the Black Copper Marans was accepted the breed requirements were also accepted by the APA.

That means the SOP for here in the USA will require feathered shanks for the other varieties as well.

Just a word to the wise!

Last edited:
Thank u all for the help
Let me get right to my story
3 years ago I got one pure davis roo a second hand davis hen from ebay eggs and 2 buddy hennery hens
So 3 hens and a roo produced 70 or so offspring all were correct color shanks .end of first year I saved 3 offspring hens…. second year hatched at least 80 with original davis roo and now 6 hens always produced correct shank color and I saved 1 rooster (son of davis roo)
So this year I test breed with son of davis rooster to 6 hens so far around 25 or so . I have 2 with yellow legs
So because I don’t have room for single mateing what I am doing is takeing 2 of the hens with son of davis roo and 3 weeks from now I will hatch eggs and see if I get any yellow legs . I will hatch around 15 eggs and if any are yellow I will cull hens . and I will do 2 at a time it till I see what I produce . is that correct ?
No matter what I produce I will cull all of the off spring .but I will do 2hens at a time in order to find what hen carries the yellow leg gene is that correct ?
And after I check the hens I will berrd them to davis roo that nevber produced a yellow leg . is that correct way to go ?
what a shame the davis roo son is nice looking darnit
but im gunna cull the heck outt of my flock to fix this

so anyone that got eggs from me form the good looking roo becareful , i will contact u soon

if i was to guess i would say that also and i am not woried about culling but she has the best egg color of the 6 lol the last 3 years...... my main thing is to understand if my fix would solvethings
Quote:
Just a guess of course, the "second hand davis hen from ebay eggs" is probably the culprit.
Joe

Quote:
Hi Randy,
I would use the same approach to finding which hens carry the yellow leg gene. And then breed the original Davis rooster to the hens that do not produce chicks with yellow legs to get another good quality "New rooster" for future breeding.
The problem I see is the two test hens, if one is split for yellow legs and the other isn't do you have a plan to identify which hen lays which eggs? And will 7-8 eggs from each hen be enough to hatch chicks with yellow legs? Theoretically two split birds should produce 25% yellow, 50% split and 25% correct color.

Also breed the split rooster back to buddy Henry hens and the E-bay hen if you still have them.

I would not cull the current young rooster until you have a good replacement and if you have space I would keep two yellow legged hens for future test matings.

lotsapaints had a good suggestion; to breed the original Davis rooster to a yellow legged hen to check if it was split for yellow, an e-mail to Bev Davis would also be a good idea.

Maybe Don or Walt can jump in here, is there a possibility the yellow legged trait is sex-linked?

Joe

EDIT to line one.

Last edited:
to your one question i think u asked ,,,,, i will just cull boath hens i am test mateing to the roo thaat produced yeellow even if only one was carring i think is how i would describe and no i dont no if 15 would b enough ? how many eggs for 2 hens and a roo ? would u recomend ?

Quote:
Hi Randy,
I would use the same approach to finding which hens carry the yellow leg gene. And then breed the original Davis rooster to them to get another good quality "New rooster" for future breeding.
The problem I see is the two test hens, if one is split for yellow legs and the other isn't do you have a plan to identify which hen lays which eggs. And will 7-8 eggs each be enough to hatch chicks with yellow legs. Theoretically two split birds should produce 25% yellow, 50% split and 25% correct color.
Also breed the split rooster back to buddy Henry hens and the E-bay hen if you still have them.

I would not cull the current young rooster until you have a good replacement and if you have space I would keep two yellow legged hens for future test matings.

lotsapaints had a good suggestion; to breed the original Davis rooster to a yellow legged hen to check if it was split for yellow, an e-mail to Bev Davis would also be a good idea.

Maybe Don or Walt can jump in here, is there a possibility the yellow legged trait is sex-linked?

Joe

Back
Top Bottom