Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

I'm interested!!!! In the next six months, I hope to be doing my final culling of my breeders (now that I have a rooster from the wonderful Randy Kallock!!!!!! Thanks, Randy :D  )  I have one or two hens that I know are good color for hens, but will be looking at some others to see what may help my roo breeding.  I think I have understood that some hens will produce nice cockerels, but others will produce nicer pullets?  Are there some pointers or definite indicators for this???

you are so welcome . if i ever get my act together il get a decent roo. i think one out of five is ok. i also have 4 more hens to ad. that makes total of 14 hens .1 aduld old roo from bev thats almost 6 years old and 5 roos about 3 months old and 3 roo 3 weeks old .i will be able to send eggs to nice people like u and deb..
im getting to many lol i want to stay small 12 hens & 2 roo lol time for a yard sale

Welp,

It looks like 4 of my original 9 wheatens are roosters. Just my luck I guess!
However,
I wanted 2 roosters, so I can't very well take them back to the breeder. One of the other roosters is a lame chick that the breeder gave me for free (has a turned foot) so I can't return him either (we thought he was a she when we got him). So that just makes one chick I can take back and trade in.
The breeder would be happy to exchange, but is it really worth driving 4 hours for one free wheaten chick?
(i'm kind of afraid i'll buy more if i go up there again!)

Last edited:
Don, by all means, please give us all some tips!! You know darn well your advise is much sought after and appreciated!
I am really interested to know about these black dots and the black flames in the hackles of the hens.

Welp,

It looks like 4 of my original 9 wheatens are roosters. Just my luck I guess!
However,
I wanted 2 roosters, so I can't very well take them back to the breeder. One of the other roosters is a lame chick that the breeder gave me for free (has a turned foot) so I can't return him either (we thought he was a she when we got him). So that just makes one chick I can take back and trade in.
The breeder would be happy to exchange, but is it really worth driving 4 hours for one free wheaten chick?
(i'm kind of afraid i'll buy more if i go up there again!)
Don't feel alone! My place is known as "Roos-R-Us"! I usually get 3 roos out of 5 eggs! So I feel your pain!
gig.gif

Don, by all means, please give us all some tips!! You know darn well your advise is much sought after and appreciated!
I am really interested to know about these black dots and the black flames in the hackles of the hens.
Debbi, will start by saying that the black in the female hackle is not a fault and is much needed if we are to raise anything close to the SOP. I cull all my wheaten that do not have the black in hackle male and female.

The Wheaten Marans were kinda held hostage when the SOP for them was approved. The APA is making an effort at trying to make sure that the standards for all breeds with varietys that are the same have a unified Standard. By this I mean that all wheaten varieties they want the SOP to be virtually the same color wise.

Will ad more on breeding to the SOP later.

Snowbird... Would you humor me and go back a few pages and look at my Roos from Bev? I want to keep 2, but am not sure if I have 2 good ones to keep.

I will post pics of my hens soon.

Of course the ones with too much mahogany are the sweetest ones!

I thought with the wheaten roosters, the primaries are supposed to be brown, which distinguishes them from the black coppers. I dont see much brown if any in the primaries of these particular roosters.

Back
Top Bottom