Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hi, I am new to marans, I hatched some a few months ago. I need to weed out some roosters, but I can't tell for sure what they are. I have blue copper, wheaton and black and want to keep one of each rooster. I will take some pictures tomarrow and post them on here. Does anyone know of a good website that would tell me exactly what to look for?
Angie, Try going to the Marans site for the SOPs for the different varities. Click on SOP then at the bottom of the page will be varieties. Click on that to see the different color specifics. Keep in mind that the only two varieties that have been approved by the APA are the Black Copper and the Wheaten. Go to marans dot org. You can always post pics of the BCMs and Blue Coppers over on the other Marans thread on BYC too for some critiques.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/383387/marans-thread-breed-discussion-pictures-are-welcome/39130

I have all these maran roosters and need to know what they are, wheaton, black or blue. Also I need some advice, bo I need to seprate all the colors when it is time to breed. These roosters are still young, I am so new to marans that I am only assuming these are roosters.

Picture 1 - wheaton maran?

Picture 2 - ?

Picture 3 - wheaton hen and roo?

Picture 4 - ?

Picture 5 - He is a month older than the rest and just started crowing. I think he is a nice looking blue maran.

Picture 5 - the one on the left ? the one on the right - blue maran?

Thanks for your help. sorry the pictures don't seem very clear.

I have all these maran roosters and need to know what they are, wheaton, black or blue. Also I need some advice, bo I need to seprate all the colors when it is time to breed. These roosters are still young, I am so new to marans that I am only assuming these are roosters.

Picture 1 - wheaton maran?

Picture 2 - ?

Picture 3 - wheaton hen and roo?

Picture 4 - ?

Picture 5 - He is a month older than the rest and just started crowing. I think he is a nice looking blue maran.

Picture 5 - the one on the left ? the one on the right - blue maran?

Thanks for your help. sorry the pictures don't seem very clear.
Picture #3 is a Black Copper with too much Brown color, should be culled. Were these from eggs shipped in or local.? Do you know if all of them are from the same breeding pen. Most of the pictures are from too far away. Are you in Michigan.

I live in goodells michigan. My eggs were from ebay, someone in ohio. The eggs should have all been either wheaton or blue copper. I can try to take some better pictures.

how do you know the roo in picture three is not a wheaton?
When it comes right down to it, I know very little.

There are three wheaten males pictured #1, #2 on left, and #4 on left. That is the only wheatens.

Oh, the wheaten should be bred in a seperate pen that the Coppers or you will only get culls from your hatch.

The roo in picture 3 has too much brown on his chest. Some of it goes away as they get older, but that boy's got way too much.
Wheatens should have much lighter shanks than Black Copper or Blue Copper, but some blues have pretty light shanks too.
Wheaten males will also have the light brown stripe on the lower part of their outermost wing feathers. As adults these feathers line up together to form a solid tan "triangle" in the folded wing. Black Copper and Blue Copper will not have any tan on the edges of their wing feathers. They can sometimes have white, but I have not ever seen the tan edging that Wheatens have on the coppers.

Did you separate the eggs before hatch? Did the breeder say all eggs would be either Wheaten or Blue Copper? Most breeders breed Blue Copper to Blue Copper which will give you a mix of black copper, blue copper and splash.

Last edited:
Here are some better pics

picture 6- pretty sure this is a bue copper maran. what is better this one or the one in picture 5?

picture 7 wheaton maran? this is a rooster right?

picture 8 - black copper maran?

Picture 9 - wheaton maran rooster? I don't like this one, no feathers on legs.

Picture 10 - Please help I like this one but dont know if it fits into the breed standard.

So many questions but if all of these are roosters than I dont want to keep all of them, but I could wait another month and then decide.

Thanks. I just posted some better pictures, no I did not separate the eggs before the hatch. I was led to believe that his breeds were separated. The roo pictured in the first #5 (LOL) what do you think of him is he ok for a blue copper?

Back
Top Bottom