Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

[

quote name="CountryFriedChicken" url="/t/426622/wheaten-and-blue-wheaten-marans-discussion-thread/2480#post_9571676"]what has been anyone's experience with wade jeane line of wheatens? yes I know Jeane has been out of the business for years now and alot of people have mixed the lines up with something else but there is a few pure Jeane wheatens out there. I am more interested in this line than the Davis line (Cottage Hill line is too expensive at this stage).

Thanks
[/quote]
this link might help you
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...44H4CA&usg=AFQjCNEqTEpDwwPCOBe0Wi0-Utc0VgTWLg

I was told this is a wheaten pullet. I would just like to confirm this with the experts. It has a pink comb already and stands tall and is HUGE. It is about 8 weeks old. Sorry for the pictures. I have kids running around me wanting to pet the chick. So I was trying to take the pictures as fast as I can. I would appreciate any help or info. thank you. (I have chickens for laying only..not show or breed..)

These are my first Marans, hatched from shipped eggs 4 weeks ago.
Looking to get some opinions on them as this is a new breed for me.

I'm thinking there is one obvious roo in the trio and the other two are pullets.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I was told this is a wheaten pullet. I would just like to confirm this with the experts. It has a pink comb already and stands tall and is HUGE. It is about 8 weeks old. Sorry for the pictures. I have kids running around me wanting to pet the chick. So I was trying to take the pictures as fast as I can. I would appreciate any help or info. thank you. (I have chickens for laying only..not show or breed..)

My pullet's combs weren't that big at 8 weeks. Also, all my females leg feathers are white, yours are black. However, the lack of black feathers on the body make me confused.

Last edited:
Yep looks like a cockerel. It definitely bears some resemblance to wheatens, but a cockerel at that age should have much darker feathers. I DO have some cockerels that don't though, so I don't know if that rules anything out. I have a couple that kept mostly red feathering, but they won't be keepers for me. Maybe he'll be good for passing along the dark egg gene, might be a great one to make olive eggers with if you want to do that, or you know someone who does.

My pullet's combs weren't that big at 8 weeks. Also, all my females leg feathers are white, yours are black. However, the lack of black feathers on the body make me confused.
I doubt this has any Wheaten Marans blood at all involved. Looks more like something involving Mille Fleur D,uccle in my opinion. Look at the feathered middle toe and all the spangled white marks.

Iv had wheaten marans for 6 + years but always fed them crumbles but thinking of switching to pellets . any thoughts ?
Randy, Now that I only have a few chickens will use a small pellet from Buckeye called big-four I have used this in the past for the birds I was conditioning for the shows and the single penned males. It is a very small pellet and very young started chicks will eat it also. I used to feed this to the Quail when I had them also. Do not have a bag close by but think they are 20-22 %

Back
Top Bottom