Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hi All -I was thinking of getting some wheaten marans eggs to incubate,below r pics of the parents.
would appreciate yr opinions,wether to get eggs from these or keep searching
marans r rare here in aus ,only 5 lines i believe
thanks Pete

I'm sure some of the folks who've had Wheatens for a long time will weigh in, but I'd suggest asking to see pictures of the eggs as well as the parents. There's a lot of fluff at the base of that cock's tail. I haven't had Wheatens but for about a year and a half but I've heard that "cottontail" is something to avoid when possible. There's certainly no harm in trying them out, though, if you'd really like to have them. Hatch a lot and cull hard, as they say!

thanks for the replies ,I knew the cottontail was a prob.
our marans r clean legged & I was worried about the washed out look of the hens.

all in all ,u have confirmed my initial thoughts and I think I'll will continue the hunt for better birds ,like they say "it costs the same to feed a good one as a bad one so u mite as well have the good ones"
cheers Pete

Are clean legged birds the standard out there? Mine are not, because they aren't the standard here, but to be honest I kind of wish they were. I'm just not one to buck the system, lol. If that's what folks expect it's what I'll breed. Still I don't particularly care for poopy or muddy feet feathers.

yes we use the english standard here ,so clean legs
.unfortunately there seems to be only 5 lines (strains )in Aus so birds r rare and hard to find or get hold of .
saw a ad for a trio recently ,for $750, fertile eggs- r about $100 /doz plus postage .given Aud is similar to Usd at the moment, u get the idea of how expensive they r here.

Would like some opinions on my flock. I have a rooster 6 months old and 3 hens (one hen is 10 or 11 months old and still not laying and the other 2 are 6 months old)

Back
Top Bottom