Wheaten or Blue Wheaten?

Mesa

Songster
Nov 21, 2008
New Mexico
How can you tell the difference between a Wheaten and a Blue Wheaten hen?
I have 2 hens that are very light in coloring but they do have a couple dark feathers in their tails... I was assuming they were Wheatens. I started googling pictures, and I see some of the BW do have darker feathering in their tails.

How can you tell the difference between the two?

I have a Wheaton EE and a BW EE easiest way to tell the difference in coloring is Wheaton has more black were as the BW have a grey blue cast where the black should be.

If I'm wrong on this let me know!

Jean,

Any chance you could post some photos of both varieties for us learners? Please? Pretty please?????
fl.gif
fl.gif

I just so happen to have one of each variety in the cages getting ready for show. I will take a picture of each of their wings. This is the easiest way to determine which color they are on some.

Blue wheaten:

5845_p0002381.jpg

Wheaten:

5845_p0002382.jpg

Last edited:
I don't look at the rest of the bird to determine color because it can be so confusing.

You want to breed and choose pullets with little to no ticking in the hackles. This will remove the ticking in the male offspring's hackles.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

I don't look at the rest of the bird to determine color because it can be so confusing.

You want to breed and choose pullets with little to no ticking in the hackles. This will remove the ticking in the male offspring's hackles.

Hmmm I think I need to hatch more wheatens...​

Back
Top Bottom