wheaton roo x bb red hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowled-out, Aug 5, 2011.

1. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    I have a wheaton american game roo that I want to breed with a partridge BB red hen. what will the offspring be? Or vice versa BB red roo to wheaten hen? These are kelso.

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    not sure but wheaton is bb red in cubalayas

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Is the hen Partridge or Black Breasted Red?

Chris

4. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Had a similar question,
    What happens when you breed

Wheaton Roo X partridge hens ?

Thank you,

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The term partridge can mean a different variety- game birds sometimes have different names than other fowl. Pics of the female will help.

Does the female have a salmon colored breast or does she have a reddish brown colored breast?

What was the down color of the females verses the male?

Tim

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Quote:The hen is dark brown with penciling hackles (wild type). My roo is a wheaton when I aquired him he was a cream color chick with no chipmunk stripes. The hen had very dark chipmunk stripes as a chick so I know she is partridge.

7. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Wheaten is dominant to partridge type bbred, and also to regular wild type bb red. All your chicks will turn out wheaten with more lacing in the hackle, etc, more black speckling, smut, etc, but will pretty much be wheaten. I have done both crosses, results are the same. Of course, I am assuming your birds are PURE wheaten, bb red, partridge, etc. If they are NOT PURE whatever, then all bets are off, no way to tell what they will produce. American games have not been bred for color first, so, they may not be pure one color.

Good luck!!

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Not Always.... that´s why we have the big debate of recessive wheaten(ey) and dominat wheaten(eWh) some say its the same gene but affected by other factors like undocumented melanizers...

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:X2

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:The hen is dark brown with penciling hackles (wild type). My roo is a wheaton when I aquired him he was a cream color chick with no chipmunk stripes. The hen had very dark chipmunk stripes as a chick so I know she is partridge.

From your description, the male is a purebred wheaten (dominant wheaten) and the female is heterozygous for the brown allele (partridge). The cross will produce males that look the same- they will all have the BBR phenotype. It is the females that will express the E locus genotype. I agree with gallorojo that the female offspring will look similar to wheaten. The exact appearance of the females depends on the E locus allele (from the mother)that matches with the wheaten allele (from the father).

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by