Wheezing but otherwise normal

Lankplank

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2019
She’s been wheezing for a few days. That’s it though. Otherwise she looks great and her behavior is normal. She’s away from the rest in a crate and occasionally out on her own. It’s very hot here so the whole flock is usually mouth open, wings out, as you’ll see in he video. I don’t want to give her antibiotics if it’s not necessary. Should I wait it out for a few more days?

Sounds like she is just getting over heated.

Try giving the flock some frozen berries, fruit, watermelon, or simply ice. I freeze big blocks by filling plastic storage boxes. My chickens and pet coons love them in this heat.

This is definitely something new and we’ve been having hotter days for months now. Today when I took this video it wasn’t too hot at all. And she’s the only one making this sound.

She’s been wheezing for a few days. That’s it though. Otherwise she looks great and her behavior is normal. She’s away from the rest in a crate and occasionally out on her own. It’s very hot here so the whole flock is usually mouth open, wings out, as you’ll see in he video. I don’t want to give her antibiotics if it’s not necessary. Should I wait it out for a few more days?
Upload the video to YouTube and provide a link.

A little more info?
How old is she?
Does she lay eggs...if so, when was the last one...does she have any bloat/fluid in her abdomen?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?
Have you added any new birds to your flock within the last 30 days?
Any discharge from the eyes or mucous from the nostrils?
Any signs of mucous, lesions or yellow/white pasty material/canker inside the beak?

A little more info?
How old is she?
Does she lay eggs...if so, when was the last one...does she have any bloat/fluid in her abdomen?
Any signs of mucous, lesions or yellow/white pasty material/canker inside the beak?
Sorry, I thought I added a video. Can I not add a video here? I’ll try to share one somehow.

To answer your questions;
She’s only about a year old.
She is laying every day. Just had one this morning.
How do I check her abdomen for blood or fluid?
No new birds, although wild birds can and often do come inside. She and her 3 sisters WERE the new birds 6 months ago.
Eyes, nostrils, and beak are clean. Good color in her face and crop.

A little more info?
How old is she?
Sorry, I thought I added a video. Can I not add a video here? I’ll try to share one somehow.

To answer your questions;
She’s only about a year old.
She is laying every day. Just had one this morning.
How do I check her abdomen for blood or fluid?
No new birds, although wild birds can and often do come inside. As well as domestic pigeons from the area. She and her 3 sisters WERE the new birds 6 months ago.
Eyes, nostrils, and beak are clean. Good color in her face and crop.

Have you looked inside her beak and throat for any lesions or canker?

Where are you located in the world?

Is she able to eat/drink anything at all with her doing that?

If vet care is an option, that would be good.
If you don't find an obstruction in her throat and her crop is not full/filled, then I would probably de-worm her. Use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at 0.23ml per pound of weight, given orally once a day for 5 days.

I just checked her beak and throat (as best I could) and saw nothing that looked suspicious. She eats and drinks fine. She has a great appetite and forages vigorously. She had a big pile of black soldier fly larva this morning. Her crop seemed somewhat empty this morning. She eats a lot so things are definitely passing through, if that’s your concern.
I’m in Taiwan. Unfortunately I don’t have a bird specific vet in my area. I’ll check a local vet to see if they have dewormer.
Thanks so much!

I just checked her beak and throat (as best I could) and saw nothing that looked suspicious. She eats and drinks fine. She has a great appetite and forages vigorously. She had a big pile of black soldier fly larva this morning. Her crop seemed somewhat empty this morning. She eats a lot so things are definitely passing through, if that’s your concern.
I’m in Taiwan. Unfortunately I don’t have a bird specific vet in my area. I’ll check a local vet to see if they have dewormer.
Thanks so much!
She's able to stop wheezing and open mouth breathing long enough to eat/drink well?
It would be good to check with your local vet and see if they can help you out.

She's able to stop wheezing and open mouth breathing long enough to eat/drink well?
It would be good to check with your local vet and see if they can help you out.
Yes, no problem eating or drinking. Also, she looked a little pale in the face today.
I just went to my local vet (who knows nothing about birds). He gave me half a (Fenbendazole) pill, which is about 25 mg.
She’s probably a 2lb bird so you’re telling me I should give her about .5ml (0.005mg I think)? I don’t think I can divide such a small amount from this pill.
I guess I need a bird vet. This is frustrating but I greatly appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom