Wheezing chicken, differential diagnosis

AdiosCowboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
I have a chicken that has been losing weight for almost a month now; she is eating, but not as much as my other two and lost weight gradually. Yesterday she began wheezing although otherwise acting completely normal. I took her to a vet this morning and she said it was probably worms in her lower respiratory tract so she gave her Ivermectin and will prescribe an antibiotic (TBD) that I can give her at home. However, I am still worried that it could be an infection since she didn't do labwork, but listened to the chickens lung sounds which were clear, and did a general physical inspection. Is it possible that an infection is still the problem and I should insist on blood tests or am I being a hypochondriac?

Just got a call from the vet that she is having more trouble breathing and isn't eating or drinking. She got a shot of something to open her airway, but now she's being kept overnight and I'm increasingly worried that she won't make it. Does anyone have any idea why a seemingly healthy chicken would suddenly have trouble breathing and eating with no other symptoms (no sneezing, runny anything, open mouth breathing)?

Did your chicken survive? We have 4 week old chicks with similar issues and cannot figure out how to treat them. The don't have the smell of Coryza. As a precaution we are using Duramycin in the water 3/4 tsp. per 32 oz. We've looked in their throats and don't see any of the red worms described in gape worm. We are at a total loss as to what to do to help these poor babies. They were hatched at home and live outdoors with mama hen and papa rooster and they seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom