Wheezing chicken

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
My hen, Aggressive chicken (barred rock, almost 6 years old) has been wheezing quite badly recently. I first noticed it probably around the 10th? she was trying chatter about something, but had a very weak, squeaky, faint little voice. This has never been the case for her, so of course I was concerned. She was on my shoulders at the time, right after I'd let her out, so I could hear her quite well, and when she was breathing (just with her mouth open) she was wheezing loudly. I watched her for a bit, and found that she only wheezes when she's panting/mouth open. She has absolutely no other symptoms, I've listened to her breathing via stethoscope, looked in the back of her throat/mouth, checked her crop and everything. She's active, eating/drinking, nice, bright and alert. Could this be heat related possibly? no other chickens have wheezing, I've been monitoring it closely. I haven't treated her with anything yet, since it hasn't gotten worse/no clues as to what to treat for.. so, any ideas? Should I go ahead and treat with Tylan or wait? Any suggestions are appreciated!

(Summary;
wheezing when panting
Doesn't seem to be spreading
she's a little thin but not any drastic weight loss
she does have a growth on the side of her face, right behind her eye. she's had it for as long as I've had her, and its never caused any troubles. Last year, during the winter, though, it did swell up all the way to the other side of her face, obscuring her vision on one side. after about a week, it when down and back to normal and has been dormant since.
Lungs sound fine
crop looks/feels fine
throat/mouth look fine
I don't hear any wheezing when she's breathing with her mouth closed.)

Can you post a picture of the growth, and look inside her beak and throat for any gunk or yellow material? Chickens can get feed stuck in the airway occasionally and have stridor. If she does not have eye foam, facial swelling, or nasal drainage, she may have something viral or fungal going on. If the swelling near her eye was from MG, she may have a chronic respiratory disease. Those can come and go. Does she cough or sneeze?

Can you post a picture of the growth, and look inside her beak and throat for any gunk or yellow material? Chickens can get feed stuck in the airway occasionally and have stridor. If she does not have eye foam, facial swelling, or nasal drainage, she may have something viral or fungal going on. If the swelling near her eye was from MG, she may have a chronic respiratory disease. Those can come and go. Does she cough or sneeze?
I don't think a picture of the growth will be necessary. As I've previously stated, the inside of her mouth and throat are both clear and fine. No coughing or sneezing, either. (The growth only affected her for a very short time and she had no other symptoms, the swelling went down and it has been dormant since. She had no treatment, because at the time I didn't know what to do, and she was perfectly fine. No discharge of any kind, lethargy, diarrhea, or any other symptoms. Just a bit of swelling. Plus, she has had it since she started getting her comb, it has just always been there. If you still insist on a photo, I will get one.)

Back
Top Bottom