Wheezing chicken

Henhelper43

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2023
Manchester, CT
I have a roughly year and a half old chicken. She was fin earlier, but I came to check on my flock and found her wheezing. She was standing with the rest of the flock. When I went near her she immediately let me pick her up, which she usually runs away from me. I noticed her crop felt hard so I gave her water and massaged it, and now it’s fine, but she is still wheezing.
image.jpg

This is how she looks while wheezing. It’s like she’s trying to yell. I don’t know what to do for her and could really use some tips.

She is still wheezing. She’s been closing her eyes a lot too like she doesn’t have the energy to keep them open. She’s tried to eat but it makes it worse. She’s also sneezing now. Her wheezing sounds like a whistle or like she’s trying to scream.

Have you added any new birds lately or are there wild birds coming around their feeders and water? When she wheezes with her beak open like that, look inside for any mucus or gunk. She may have a respiratory virus. Watch for any bubbles or foam in one eye, swelling on her face, or nasal mucus which could be a mycoplasma illness. Have you heard about any bird flu in your area? Do you have any antibiotics?

Have you added any new birds lately or are there wild birds coming around their feeders and water? When she wheezes with her beak open like that, look inside for any mucus or gunk. She may have a respiratory virus. Watch for any bubbles or foam in one eye, swelling on her face, or nasal mucus which could be a mycoplasma illness. Have you heard about any bird flu in your area? Do you have any antibiotics?
No new birds, and they are in an enclosed run so very rarely are they exposed to wild birds. I noticed once when she sneezed clear bubble from one of her eyes. I have checked in her throat and couldn’t see anything stuck. I haven’t heard of any bird flu in the area and I don’t have any antibiotics.

If you do see more symptoms that could be MG, I would get some Tylosin powder which is used in the water to treat symptoms.Viruses, such as infectious bronchitis do not respond to antibiotics, and will last a few weeks. There sometimes can be environmental reasons for respiratory symptoms which include dust, mold, pollen, or getting a speck of something stuck in the nostril. Here is where I have bought Tylosin to have for emergencies:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Back
Top Bottom